Introduction books/interesting thesis ideas on string theory

In summary: Your Name]In summary, a new member of a string group is seeking advice for their diploma thesis in theoretical physics and mathematics. They have a basic understanding of supersymmetry, supergravity, and superstring theory, but are looking for general readings and specific suggestions for their thesis topic. Recommendations include starting with foundational books, exploring current research areas, and reading recent papers and articles.
bjurke
Hi string group,

I'm a new member. In a few months I'll have completed my final exams and can finally start to write my diploma thesis (german diploma) in theoretical physics and mathematics.

Naturally I'm a novice in the subject, having only very superficial basic knowledge from a supersymmetry/supergravity/superstring lecture. So I'm currently collecting information about books, interesting articles and so on. Since I don't have a specific thesis frame or topic to deal with, I search for general readings or interesting suggestions that could be dealt with. Of course I'm aware of the obvious readings (Polchinski, Green/Schwarz/Witten) that are currently scattered around my desk.

Current ideas for a thesis topic are something (very vague and preliminary) "anomalies in multi-dimensional brane-extensions in string theory" or something like that.

So what I'm asking for are some inspiring hints, that could be deals with in detail. Please note that the subjects should contain sufficient mathematical aspects, because it should be a thesis for both departments (that's ok by the regulations if the thesis has the sufficient length...).

Maybe this question is a bit preliminary because my actual lack of deeper knowledge in the subject, but on the other hand I prefer reading books and knowing what's goint to appear between the lines.

Thanks so far, Benjamin.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Benjamin,

Welcome to the string group! It's great to have a new member who is eager to learn and dive into the world of theoretical physics and mathematics. As a scientist in this field, I can assure you that it's a fascinating and constantly evolving field of study.

Since you are just beginning your thesis, I would suggest starting with some general readings and textbooks to build a strong foundation in the subject. Some good books to start with are "String Theory and M-Theory: A Modern Introduction" by Katrin Becker, Melanie Becker, and John Schwarz and "Superstring Theory: Volume 1, Introduction" by Michael B. Green, John H. Schwarz, and Edward Witten. These books cover the basics of string theory and its mathematical framework.

In terms of specific thesis topics, I would recommend looking into some current research areas in string theory. Some interesting and relevant topics include "D-branes and their applications in string theory," "Black holes and their role in string theory," and "Applications of supersymmetry in string theory." These topics involve both theoretical and mathematical aspects and are currently being explored by many researchers in the field.

Another suggestion is to look into the latest papers and articles published by renowned scientists in the field. This will give you an idea of the current research trends and can potentially inspire your thesis topic. You can also reach out to professors and researchers in your department for guidance and suggestions.

I hope this helps in your search for a thesis topic. Good luck with your studies and I look forward to seeing your contributions to the string group in the future!

Hello Benjamin, welcome to the string group! It's great to have new members who are eager to learn more about string theory. As you mentioned, there are many books and articles on the subject, and it can be overwhelming to decide where to start.

One suggestion I have is to look into the AdS/CFT correspondence, also known as the holographic principle. This is a very active area of research in string theory and has connections to both theoretical physics and mathematics. It involves the study of the relationship between a theory of gravity in a higher-dimensional spacetime (Anti-de Sitter space) and a lower-dimensional conformal field theory. This topic has a lot of interesting mathematical aspects, such as group theory, differential geometry, and topology.

Another idea could be to explore the intersection of string theory and cosmology. This could involve studying the role of strings in the early universe, or investigating the possibility of string theory providing a framework for understanding dark matter and dark energy.

Finally, you could also consider looking into the recent developments in string theory, such as the emergence of new dualities and the ongoing search for a theory of quantum gravity. These topics are constantly evolving and could lead to exciting and original thesis ideas.

Overall, my advice would be to keep reading and exploring different areas of string theory until you find a topic that truly interests you. Good luck with your thesis!

1. What is string theory and why is it important in physics?

String theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of the universe by describing particles as tiny, vibrating strings instead of point-like particles. It is important in physics because it seeks to unify the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics, which are currently considered to be incompatible.

2. How can I learn more about string theory?

There are many introductory books and online resources available that provide an overview of string theory. Some popular books include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene and "The Little Book of String Theory" by Steven S. Gubser. Additionally, many universities offer courses on string theory at the undergraduate and graduate level.

3. What are some interesting thesis ideas related to string theory?

Some potential thesis topics could include exploring the mathematical foundations of string theory, analyzing the implications of string theory for cosmology and the Big Bang, or studying the applications of string theory in other fields such as condensed matter physics or black hole physics.

4. How does string theory differ from other theories in physics?

Unlike other theories in physics, which are based on point-like particles, string theory proposes that particles are actually tiny, one-dimensional strings. It also incorporates the concept of extra dimensions, which are not observable in our everyday world but are necessary for the mathematical consistency of the theory.

5. Is string theory a proven theory?

No, string theory is still a theoretical framework and has not been definitively proven. However, it is a widely studied and researched area within theoretical physics, and has shown potential in providing a unified understanding of the fundamental forces of the universe.