Ummm, what do these equations do

• Thread starter physics noob
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about equations and their purpose. The equations include k = 2(pi) / wavelength and theta_p = tan^-1 (n2/n1). The first equation is related to the wave number, which is equal to the phase change per meter. The second equation deals with Brewster's angle and the polarity of an electromagnetic wave. The third equation, dx/L = m(wavelength), is used to find d and x. Overall, the conversation is discussing the various equations and their functions.
physics noob
hey, I am look over some equations given to me by my instructor, and I am reading the book and i cannot find what they do

k= 2(pi) / wavelength......what is k

and theta_p = tan^-1 (n2/n1) what is theta_p

and dx/L = m(wavelength) what is d and x what does this find...

thanks in advanced,,,,, great website

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
'k' is called the wave number i think. if you freeze a wave in time, k is equal to how much the phase changes per meter. you can tell by the units. 2pi is in radians and wavelength is in meters so k = radians/meter

First one is the wave number.

1. What are equations used for in science?

Equations are used in science to describe and quantify relationships between different variables. They allow scientists to make predictions, test hypotheses, and better understand natural phenomena.

2. What types of equations are commonly used in science?

There are many types of equations used in science, including algebraic, differential, and statistical equations. The type of equation used depends on the specific branch of science and the problem being studied.

3. How do scientists use equations in their research?

Scientists use equations in their research by first identifying the variables and relationships they want to study. They then use mathematical principles to create an equation that accurately represents their observations and data. This equation is then used to make predictions and analyze the results of experiments.

4. Can equations be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, equations can be used to solve real-world problems in a variety of fields such as engineering, physics, chemistry, and biology. By accurately describing the relationships between different variables, equations can help scientists and engineers find solutions to complex problems.

5. Do all scientists need to be proficient in math to use equations in their work?

While having a strong understanding of math is certainly helpful in using equations in scientific research, it is not always necessary. Many scientists collaborate with mathematicians and statisticians to develop and use equations in their work. However, a basic understanding of mathematical principles is important for all scientists.