Creativity Molecular Process Costume

In summary, a student is seeking help in creating a costume that represents a molecule involved in a process for a class assignment. They are not allowed to use any examples given and only one person is allowed to be part of the costume. Suggestions were given for illustrating different processes, such as helicase untwisting DNA and restriction enzymes cutting DNA. The student decides to represent transcription with fabric, balloons, and a hat.
aisha
:confused: HI I need some major help in creating a costume that illustrates a molecule involved in a process, can someone please help me i have to wear the costume in class tomorrow and am not allowed to make a model .

I need some ideas as to what process is easy to do and how i can make a costume to show it please help, i know there are many creative people out there!

Biology news on Phys.org
wow, they really know how to suck the fun out of Halloween in Canada.

Were there any suggestions given or examples (I assume this was an assignment and you're not just doing it for your own amusement)?
Can more than one person be part of a "costume"?

well there are two examples given but i don't want to use the examples. Only one person is allowed to be a part of the costume.

The examples are:

Helicase untwisting and breaking H-bonds in DNA replication

Or

Restriction enzymes cutting double stranded DNA at the palindromic sequence.

You could paint yourself green and hop diagonally a lot and claim that you are non-cyclic photophosphorylation.

http://www.agen.ufl.edu/~chyn/age2062/lect/lect_04/7_11.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
lol i don't think so. No PAINT! lol common any other ideas?

How about a ligand binding to a receptor? You basically just need two pieces that fit together like puzzle pieces. It's not exactly accurate at a molecular level, but that's often how it's drawn in schematics.

Here's a couple of websites showing different ways of illustrating the same thing:
http://www.virtuallaboratory.net/Biofundamentals/lectureNotes/AllGraphics/Gprotein1.jpg

http://www.mun.ca/biology/desmid/brian/BIOL2060/CellBiol10/1009_1.JPG

http://www.astbury.leeds.ac.uk/Report/2000/images/Findlay.jpg

At the simplest level, you could just wear a hat. :biggrin: You can say you're the receptor and the hat is the ligand. :tongue2: Or, you can say your body is the cell membrane, and your head and neck are the receptor sticking out into the extracellular space, and your hat is the ligand. Just hope they don't ask you to demonstrate endocytosis. :rofl:

That has to be the least fun Halloween costume contest I've ever heard of, not to mention really difficult to make.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I am going to do the process transcription the whole thing with exons and introns and spiceosomes i just don't know how to be creative I am going to shoppers drug mart right now to find some stuff everything else is closed with me luck, any ideas how to show RNA polymerase untwisting the double helix? and then making RNA? Then the twisting of the double helix? I don't know how to show this in a costume i can probably write the whole process down but don't know how to make it 3d.

Good luck. I have no idea how to turn that into a costume either. Maybe twist some fabric together and wrap it around you (you can be a histone with the DNA coiled around you), and then tape some balloons around it as polymerases, and use another strip as RNA that dangles off somewhere? If you give up, you can always go back to my suggestion of wearing a hat. :biggrin:

1. What is a creativity molecular process costume?

A creativity molecular process costume is a representation of the complex chemical reactions and neural processes that occur in the brain during moments of creative thinking. It typically consists of a colorful and abstract outfit or accessory that mimics the structure and patterns of molecules and neurons.

2. How does wearing a creativity molecular process costume enhance creativity?

Wearing a creativity molecular process costume can enhance creativity by providing a visual and tactile reminder of the complex processes involved in creative thinking. This can help individuals tap into their imaginative and innovative abilities by creating a more immersive and playful environment for their minds to explore.

3. Is there any scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of creativity molecular process costumes?

While there is limited research specifically on creativity molecular process costumes, there is evidence to suggest that visual and physical stimuli can have a positive impact on creativity. For example, studies have shown that exposure to colorful and abstract images can increase cognitive flexibility, a key component of creative thinking.

4. Can anyone benefit from wearing a creativity molecular process costume?

Yes, anyone can potentially benefit from wearing a creativity molecular process costume. However, individuals who are already open-minded and receptive to new ideas may see a greater impact on their creativity. Additionally, those who enjoy expressing themselves through fashion and costumes may find it particularly enjoyable and beneficial.

5. Are there any potential downsides to wearing a creativity molecular process costume?

While there are no known negative effects of wearing a creativity molecular process costume, it is important to note that it is just one tool for enhancing creativity. It should not be seen as a replacement for other important factors such as a conducive environment, positive mindset, and diverse experiences. Additionally, some individuals may feel uncomfortable or self-conscious wearing such a bold and unique outfit, so it is important to consider personal comfort levels before trying it out.