Understanding Factorial Equations: Exam Prep for Tomorrow's Test

• Thread starter Erzeon
  • Start date
In summary, Tom Matthews stated that the equation ((10-n)!)/((8-n)!) = (10-n)(9-n) can be simplified if the factorials are expanded all the way to 0. If the factorials are found in the numerator and denominator, they cancel each other out and the equation becomes (10-n)(9-n).
Erzeon
How does ((10-n)!)/((8-n)!) = (10-n)(9-n)? I take my 2nd exam tomorrow and I came across this question

Physics news on Phys.org
First state the definition of the factorial function, then apply it to (10-n)! .

What do you mean by definition?

Do you mean the whole entire equation?

If so, it was ((10-n)!)/((8-n)!) >= 9

then it somehow became (10-n)(9-n) >= 9

I think I found out, is it because if you expand the factorials out all the way to 0, the (8-n),(7-n),(6-n),(5-n),(4-n),(3-n),(2-n),(1-n) all cancel out in the numerator and denominator? So (10-n) and (9-n) is left?

Erzeon said:
How does ((10-n)!)/((8-n)!) = (10-n)(9-n)? I take my 2nd exam tomorrow and I came across this question

that question is so easy!
you know the definition of factorial right? (n(n-1)...3*2*1)
so if you encounter that kind of problem just apply waht you learn from the factorial...
Left Side

((10-n)!)-->> you can right this as ((10-n)!)((9-n)!)((8-n)!)...((1-n)!)
and ((8-n)!)-->> you can right this as ((8-n)!)...((1-n)!)

so, if you see ((8-n)!) in the numerator and denominator, it cancels out.
therefore left side = right side...
(10-n)(9-n) = (10-n)(9-n)

Thanks, I was blind to not see it.

Erzeon said:
I think I found out, is it because if you expand the factorials out all the way to 0, the (8-n),(7-n),(6-n),(5-n),(4-n),(3-n),(2-n),(1-n) all cancel out in the numerator and denominator? So (10-n) and (9-n) is left?

exactly! see it is so easy right?

Erzeon said:
Thanks, I was blind to not see it.

no problem... we are all here to benefit frm each others knowledge...

Erzeon said:
What do you mean by definition?

I meant just what I said: What is the definition of the factorial function function f(n)=n! .

six789 said:
no problem... we are all here to benefit frm each others knowledge...

Yes, but we do have rules here, which you all agreed to. We don't give assistance until the person asking the question shows an attempt at the problem. Guiding quesitons are OK, but complete solutions are not.

Tom Mattson said:
Yes, but we do have rules here, which you all agreed to. We don't give assistance until the person asking the question shows an attempt at the problem. Guiding questions are OK, but complete solutions are not.

ok then mr. tom mattson...

Dont worry, I had an attempt at the solution before, I asked because I got stuck and didn't think to expand it. What I really needed was a quick answer because my final high school maths exam is on tomorrow and it counts towards my score that determines what courses I can get into.

Yeh it was easy lol, I tried to think of the answer last night while going to sleep but was too tired.:D

lol... can u check my post, see if you can do it?

yeh I can, thanks to both of you:D

can u check if it is correct.., reply on my post, not here...

What is the equation (10-n)/(8-n) used for?

The equation (10-n)/(8-n) is used to find the value of a variable when given a certain numerical relationship between two other variables. It is commonly used in algebra and can be used to solve for n in various equations.

What is the importance of the parentheses in (10-n)/(8-n)?

The parentheses in (10-n)/(8-n) indicate that the operations inside should be performed first. In this case, the numerator should be evaluated before dividing by the denominator. Without the parentheses, the equation would have a different meaning and the answer would be incorrect.

Can the equation (10-n)/(8-n) be simplified?

Yes, the equation (10-n)/(8-n) can be simplified to 1+(2/(8-n)). This can be done by using the distributive property to expand the numerator and then simplifying the resulting terms.

What is the domain of the equation (10-n)/(8-n)?

The domain of the equation (10-n)/(8-n) is all real numbers except for n=8, as this would result in division by zero. In other words, the value of n can be any real number except 8.

Can this equation be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the equation (10-n)/(8-n) can be used to solve real-world problems that involve numerical relationships between variables. For example, it can be used to calculate the speed of an object when given the distance and time it traveled.