A Story of Messy Emotions: Learning to Trust

• Thread starter Mépris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emotions
In summary: Thoughts? :)In summary, the person is considering whether or not to try and contact their friend who is going to study abroad for a year, and it's not worth it because of the potential for complications. They mention that things might get messy if attachment/affection are involved, and that it's more likely that the relationship will end than that it will improve.
Mépris
Long story short: I messed up. She gets me (and trust me, very few do) and she always stuck around. It's an idea that's crossed my mind a few times but I always figured I'd be better off* on my own and shrugged the idea off. She's leaving in less than a week for Europe (undergrad study). Won't be back until next year. So trying anything at all right now is *not* worth it.

Not that having done something about this would've (more like, could've!) changed things much but at least we'd have had fun (!) for a while. Serves me right.

*Not very certain of that. In general, I don't trust anyone. Over the years I got used being on my own. But nothing's constant. And all that is a little disturbing. The minute there's any kind attachment/affection thrown into the equation, things get all messy. And nobody likes messy.

What is the purpose of this thread? Ah who knows, I reckon I just wanted to let it out. Any stories, people? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do things get messy when attachment/affection are involved?

Thy Apathy said:
Long story short: I messed up. She gets me (and trust me, very few do) and she always stuck around. It's an idea that's crossed my mind a few times but I always figured I'd be better off* on my own and shrugged the idea off. She's leaving in less than a week for Europe (undergrad study). Won't be back until next year. So trying anything at all right now is *not* worth it.

Not that having done something about this would've (more like, could've!) changed things much but at least we'd have had fun (!) for a while. Serves me right.

*Not very certain of that. In general, I don't trust anyone. Over the years I got used being on my own. But nothing's constant. And all that is a little disturbing. The minute there's any kind attachment/affection thrown into the equation, things get all messy. And nobody likes messy.

What is the purpose of this thread? Ah who knows, I reckon I just wanted to let it out. Any stories, people? :)
Sounds like this is something she's planned for quite awhile, you can't just decide to study abroad on a whim. She didn't tell you about her plans? Or did you think she'd change her plans?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thy Apathy said:
So trying anything at all right now is *not* worth it.
Why is it "not worth it"? What is the harm?

What if you simply let her know how you feel? Sure, she'll still go, but absence can make the heart grow fonder.

lisab said:

But these things don't last more than one night fortunately :smile:

I believe infatuation might be more appropriate word here.

lisab said:

I'd rather not get too much into this but everybody lies (in my experience). Lying, very many miles apart and attachment don't go hand in hand.

Evo said:
Sounds like this is something she's planned for quite awhile, you can't just decide to study abroad on a whim. She didn't tell you about her plans? Or did you think she'd change her plans?

No, I've known about them since the first day we met. Which is also why I never really entertained this possibility. Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time...

DaveC426913 said:
Why is it "not worth it"? What is the harm?

What if you simply let her know how you feel? Sure, she'll still go, but absence can make the heart grow fonder.

I'm still considering this. We're meeting up soon, I'll figure it out there and then.

There is that, which is one of many possibilities. It's also possibly the best case scenario and considering only that suddenly opens up more room for disappointment. Another likely scenario is that she'll find what she can get from me (or better) within reach. And Facebook (might have something to do with me hating it...) & e-mail doesn't beat direct contact!

rootX said:
But these things don't last more than one night fortunately :smile:

I believe infatuation might be more appropriate word here.

I can imagine my response to a thread like this would have been very much the same. Things would be infinitely simpler if that were true though. I've known her for a good while now and I can tell the difference between being infatuated and er, I don't know, that other thing. I don't think it's love though. But there's more to it than just "I like how she looks and I like cuddling up on the sofa and being all gay about everything*".

*Note: Things like having intense arguments about who will hang up the phone, for instance.

Thank you for the replies. I appreciate it. It's good/interesting to get some additional perspective.

Last edited:
Remember this:

'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I thought that quote was originally King Kong's, but in fact it's Lord Tennyson's.

lisab said:
Remember this:

I thought that quote was originally King Kong's, but in fact it's Lord Tennyson's.

He did have a legendary beard.

Quote made me smile.

Thy Apathy said:
I'm still considering this. We're meeting up soon, I'll figure it out there and then.
I wouldn't overthink it. You'll rationalize your way out of it.

Just say "Look, I know this is lousy timing, but it's better to regret the things you did than the things you didn't do. I like you. A lot. I would never forgive myself if you went away not knowing how I feel about you."

Given more details, I would fully agree with lisab and Dave.

:smile:

Thy Apathy said:
He did have a legendary beard.

Quote made me smile.

King Kong? Yeah, not just the beard, but legendary fur everywhere.

She bailed. Not seeing her until next year. I might forget. Throwing "liking" into any equation can only complicate things for me. Keeping away from this "liking people" business like its an AIDs infected penis.

Moving on.

You've been of good help.

I ended up going to her farewell party on the next night. It was fun but we didn't get much of a chance to be alone for too long. (I mean, it's her farewell party, not a date!)

After rationalising (heh :D), I've decided that I do like her a lot. The dynamics of the relationship is very loose (that's largely due to me and I think it's a good thing) and she gets all the messed up crap I think of and spout. If she doesn't, she does a pretty darn good job at pretending she does! And if that's the case, that should mean something. I will most definitely miss her being around. But I will get used to it eventually.

Felt like typing it out, so yeah.

Thy Apathy said:
I ended up going to her farewell party on the next night. It was fun but we didn't get much of a chance to be alone for too long. (I mean, it's her farewell party, not a date!)

After rationalising (heh :D), I've decided that I do like her a lot. The dynamics of the relationship is very loose (that's largely due to me and I think it's a good thing) and she gets all the messed up crap I think of and spout. If she doesn't, she does a pretty darn good job at pretending she does! And if that's the case, that should mean something. I will most definitely miss her being around. But I will get used to it eventually.

Felt like typing it out, so yeah.
Also possible that you could be a life line to home by being a pen pal. Write once a month, ask how she's doing.

DaveC426913 said:
Also possible that you could be a life line to home by being a pen pal. Write once a month, ask how she's doing.

Definitely. That is what I intended to do, in the event that I don't get a webcam and skype. I do prefer writing though.

Her brother and I are fairly close. That should help bridge the gap.

1. What is "A Story of Messy Emotions: Learning to Trust" about?

"A Story of Messy Emotions: Learning to Trust" is a book that explores the complex and often confusing world of emotions, specifically focusing on the concept of trust. Through a series of stories and illustrations, the book delves into how trust is developed, broken, and repaired in different relationships and situations.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The book is primarily targeted towards children and young adults, but it can also be beneficial for adults who struggle with understanding and managing their own emotions. It can be a helpful tool for therapists, educators, and parents to use in teaching about emotions and trust.

3. What is the main takeaway from "A Story of Messy Emotions: Learning to Trust"?

The main takeaway from the book is that emotions are complex and messy, but they are an important part of our lives. It emphasizes the importance of understanding and accepting our emotions, and the role that trust plays in our relationships and overall well-being.

4. How does this book help with learning to trust?

The book uses relatable stories and illustrations to help readers understand the different aspects of trust, such as vulnerability, honesty, and forgiveness. It also provides practical tips and strategies for building and repairing trust in relationships, as well as how to cope with the emotional challenges that come with trust issues.

5. Is "A Story of Messy Emotions: Learning to Trust" based on scientific research?

Yes, the book is based on current research and theories in psychology and neuroscience, particularly in the areas of emotions and trust. The author, a scientist and therapist, has also drawn from her own experiences and observations working with individuals and families dealing with trust issues.