Can light be filtered using red fabric?

In summary: Dave... the RED filter of the topic is an optical filter ! ... it transmits most of the red leaving the remaining spectrum
oem7110
If I put a red fabric under the Sun, what can this fabric be filtered in term of light frequency spectrum?
Thanks in advance of any suggestions

Science news on Phys.org
Are you asking the spectrum of light that passes through the cloth, reflects off of it, or what?

Drakkith said:
Are you asking the spectrum of light that passes through the cloth, reflects off of it, or what?

I would like to know the spectrum of light passing through the cloth,
since the Sunlight pass through the red cloth, will the red color of light or infrared be greater increase within the spectrum?
Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions

No, a filter can only remove light, never increase it.

The way I understand your question, The amount of red in the sunlight would be reduced
by passing through a red cloth. A portion of the red spectrum would be reflected, and therefore not transmitted. In Practice, cloth would make a poor filter, as it has all sorts of
irregular surfaces. A true red filter would reflect most of the red leaving the remaining spectrum.

johnbbahm said:
...A true red filter would reflect most of the red leaving the remaining spectrum.

huh ??
you better reread optics 101 ;)

all my optical filters of various colours that I use in photography PASS the colour of the filter and STOP other colours

Another example... why do you think they use RED filters in front of IR receiver sensors ?
...so that the red end of the spectrum is passed and the rest of the spectrum is filtered out
thereby avoiding false triggering and reduced sensitivity of the IR sensor

Dave

davenn said:
Another example... why do you think they use RED filters in front of IR receiver sensors ?
...so that the red end of the spectrum is passed and the rest of the spectrum is filtered out
Dave

I would like to know the reason why IR receiver use IR within spectrum instead of other spectrum, does it have any specific property for IR?

sorry I don't really understand your question
care to rephrase ? :smile:

Dave

If you look through a red filter, everything looks red. Like Dave said, the filter color is the light frequency that is unblocked.

davenn said:
sorry I don't really understand your question
care to rephrase ? :smile:

Dave

I am interested and would like to know more about why use RED filters in front of IR receiver sensors, and the reason to select IR instead of other spectrum on this receiver sensors device.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

oem7110 said:
I am interested and would like to know more about why use RED filters in front of IR receiver sensors.

I gave the answer in post #6 :smile:

Dave

davenn said:
I gave the answer in post #6 :smile:

Dave

... and the reason to select IR instead of other spectrum on this receiver sensors device.

oem7110 said:
... and the reason to select IR instead of other spectrum on this receiver sensors device.

1) because its invisible to the naked eye so you don't see the remote control transmitters flashing light all the time.
2) Lighting up an area at nite time for camera survlence (sp?) doesn't flood the area with unwanted light
3) IR is so much easier to filter than light within the visible spectrum

Dave

oem7110 said:

Infrared light is used for various purposes, including remote controls, night vision, and to observe different things in space that are either blocked in the visible range or don't emit in the visible range. Do you know what the EM spectrum is?

davenn said:

Dave

If I apply a red filter, are Infrared, Microwave and Radio passed? and are Gramma ray, X-ray, Ultraviolet, Visible filtered out?

em-spectrum21.jpg

Last edited:
oem7110 said:
If I apply a red filter, are Infrared, Microwave and Radio passed? and are Gramma ray, X-ray, Ultraviolet, Visible filtered out?

I have already clarified visible light is filtered out other than the red end of the spectrum.
Radio wavelengths ... microwave or otherwise and not filtered nor are Xrays or gamma rays
Radio wavelengths ... microwave or otherwise you need a metallic screen --- basically a Faraday shield
You can filter radio/microwave frequencies using a metallic screen where the holes in the screen are
considerably less than a 1/4 wavelength in diameter... look at the screen on the front of your microwave
oven... the holes are large enough that we can see what's cooking but the 2.4 GHz radio energy cannot pass

the RED filter of the topic IS AN OPTICAL FILTER ! :frown:

Dave

Last edited:
oem7110 said:

This isn't easy to answer, it totally depends on the material. And is your signature set to ask for suggestions every post? It really doesn't make any sense.

davenn said:
huh ??
you better reread optics 101 ;)

all my optical filters of various colours that I use in photography PASS the colour of the filter and STOP other colours

Dave
I understand Dave, I was thinking of type of red filter used in say HeNe laser safety glasses.
They actually filter out the red light. It's been many years, but i recall they had a green tint to them. :)

1. Can red fabric really filter light?

Yes, red fabric can filter light to a certain extent. The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light it reflects. Red fabric absorbs most of the shorter wavelengths of light, allowing only red light to pass through.

2. Why does red fabric only filter red light?

Red fabric contains pigments that are specifically designed to absorb shorter wavelengths of light, such as blue and green. This is why it appears red to our eyes and why it can filter out most other colors of light.

3. Can any type of red fabric be used to filter light?

No, not all red fabrics are created equal. The effectiveness of the filtering depends on the type of fabric and its thickness. Some fabrics may only filter out a small amount of light, while others may be more effective at blocking certain wavelengths.

4. What types of light can red fabric filter?

Red fabric can filter out shorter wavelengths of light, including blue, green, and violet. It may also have some impact on yellow and orange light, but to a lesser extent. However, it will not be able to filter out longer wavelengths of light, such as red and infrared.

5. Can red fabric be used to protect against harmful UV rays?

No, red fabric is not effective in blocking UV rays. UV rays have much shorter wavelengths than red light, so they will not be absorbed by the fabric. It is important to use fabrics specifically designed to block UV rays for protection against sun exposure.