Is It Possible to Start a Numerical Analysis Section on Our Forum?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter bda23
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about the possibility of creating a Numerical Analysis section for mathematicians, scientists, and engineers. The suggestion was that there may be a large group of members who could benefit from it. However, it was mentioned that new forums are not created unless there is already traffic in that topic. Instead, discussions on algorithms and programming for numerical methods can be found in the Programming & Comp Sci subforum of Computers & Technology. This can also include topics such as Runge-Kutta methods, finite element analysis, and finite volume methods. The conversation also mentioned that discussions on FEA/CFD/Multiphysics can be found under Mechanical Engineering, while the mathematical theory behind these methods can be found in Calculus & Analysis
bda23
Hi, prompted by another person's post I was wondering whether it was possible to start a Numerical Analysis section for mathematicians, scientists and engineers. I could imagine there's a potentially large group of members who'd benefit from it. Just a suggestion.

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't make new forums to wait for traffic, we split the old ones when it is obvious the traffic exists.

If you're referring to algorithms and programming for numerical methods, the appropriate place is the Programming & Comp Sci subforum of Computers & Technology. We occasionally have threads about Runge-Kutta methods, etc.

Thanks for your posts, makes sense. Programming for numerical methods can already be helpful, so I will look at those sections you mentioned. Runge-Kutta, finite element, finite volume, etc. was what I was also thinking of, the mathematical theory behind them, the technicalities in using them for problems, etc.

bda23 said:
Thanks for your posts, makes sense. Programming for numerical methods can already be helpful, so I will look at those sections you mentioned. Runge-Kutta, finite element, finite volume, etc. was what I was also thinking of, the mathematical theory behind them, the technicalities in using them for problems, etc.
FEA/CFD/Multiphysics are often discussed under Mechanical Engineering.

Mathematical theory behind some of this is found in Calculus & Analysis or Differential Equations

Programming & Comp Sci under Computing & Technology would be the place to discuss algorithms and programming.

Thanks, I will look at those sections.

What is Numerical Analysis Forum?

Numerical Analysis Forum is an online platform dedicated to discussions and sharing of knowledge related to numerical analysis, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the development and implementation of algorithms for solving mathematical problems using numerical methods.

Who can participate in Numerical Analysis Forum?

Anyone with an interest in numerical analysis, regardless of their background or level of expertise, can participate in Numerical Analysis Forum. This includes students, researchers, and professionals from various fields such as mathematics, engineering, and computer science.

What type of discussions take place on Numerical Analysis Forum?

Numerical Analysis Forum hosts a wide range of discussions related to numerical analysis, including topics such as numerical methods, computational techniques, and applications in various fields. Users can also ask questions and seek help from the community regarding specific numerical analysis problems they are facing.

How can I join Numerical Analysis Forum?

You can join Numerical Analysis Forum by creating an account on the platform. This can be done by providing your email address and choosing a username and password. Once your account is created, you can start participating in discussions and interacting with other members of the community.

Is Numerical Analysis Forum a reliable source of information?

While Numerical Analysis Forum is a great platform for discussions and sharing of knowledge, it is important to note that the information shared on the forum may not always be accurate or reliable. It is always recommended to verify the information from multiple sources before using it in any serious applications or research.