Dragon Curve Fractal Using Golden Ratio

In summary, the conversation discusses attempts to reconstruct a fractal in MS Excel and the question of how the original version was generated. One person shares their understanding of the algorithm for generating the left turn/right turn ordering and wonders if the same algorithm was used for the golden dragon fractal. Another person shares their method of constructing the fractal manually and suggests trying different orientations for the lines. They also mention that the original fractal was not created with a Lindenmeyer system, but rather with an Iterated Function System (IFS). The conversation concludes with one person asking for help in figuring out the algorithm used for the fractal.
EebamXela
I've been fooling around in MS Excel trying to reconstruct this fractal:

dragonfractal.jpg

I haven't had any issues here making it. I totally understand the algorithm for generating the left turn/right turn ordering. What I really want to know is how this version is generated:

Phi_glito.jpe

Original image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Phi_glito.png
The sides of the base triangle are equal to:

Is this fractal generated using the same algorithm as the above one? I can't seem to find any explanations anywhere to confirm. I tried using the same algorithm and steps to recreate it in excel but all i get is a fractal that KINDA looks like it, but it's obviously not:

goldenatempt.jpg

I don't have any code to share because I'm not very good with code. I figured once i nail down how to actually construct the thing manually i'd try coding it.

Please someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
When I discovered the Dragon curve back in about 1970 (ok, I can't prove it, but I did), I generated it as shown in your first picture: Draw some figure (short line segment to start with) from point A to point B, take a copy of the figure and rotate it 90 degrees about B, and make the copy of the point A your new point B. So necessarily the points A, B, A' form a 45 degree right triangle. The second picture above appears to be the same but with a magnification of the copy. The question is, how was the magnification selected?
The original construction has this fascinating trick of meshing seamlessly with itself, never overwriting any lines. The magnifying variation doesn't mesh in the same way, but seems to be chosen just so that it touches itself at many points.

What I really want to know is how this version is generated:

The clue is in the triangle behind the picture. For every line (e.g. the horizontal line in the triangle), replace it with the other two lines in the triangle. The trick is to note that there are two orientations for each of these two new lines, each is a 180 degree rotation of the other. Hence, if you make both lines use the closest orientation to the horizontal line, you get variants of Levy C curve, if you make both lines 'upside down' then you get variants of the Von Koch curve, and if you make the two lines one of each then you get variants of dragon curve fractals.

EebamXela said:
Please someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

I think you're just too impatient. What you've produced looks execellent, not just "kinda" like the original from Wikipedia. All you need is more steps to get the straight lines "bumpier".

I'd love to see how you did this in Excel. All I've ever used that for is tables, and never graphs.

TGlad said:
The clue is in the triangle behind the picture. For every line (e.g. the horizontal line in the triangle), replace it with the other two lines in the triangle.

According to the caption for the image in Wikipedia, their fractal was not constructed in the way you describe (with a Lindenmeyer system) but rather with an IFS.

Can anyone help me figure out the algorithm that was used for this golden dragon fractal?

What is a Dragon Curve Fractal?

A Dragon Curve Fractal is a geometric pattern that is created by repeating a specific set of steps. It is often associated with the infinite sequence of numbers known as the "Dragon Curve Sequence". The pattern is named after its resemblance to the shape of a dragon.

How is the Golden Ratio used in the Dragon Curve Fractal?

The Golden Ratio, also known as Phi, is used in the construction of the Dragon Curve Fractal by determining the proportions of each line segment. The ratio of the longer segment to the shorter one is equal to the ratio of the sum of both segments to the longer one.

What is the significance of the Golden Ratio in the Dragon Curve Fractal?

The Golden Ratio is significant in the Dragon Curve Fractal because it is believed to represent a perfect balance and harmony in nature. It is also known for its aesthetic appeal and has been used in art, architecture, and design for centuries.

How is the Dragon Curve Fractal created?

The Dragon Curve Fractal is created by starting with a straight line, and then repeatedly folding it in half and adding a new segment at a specific angle based on the Golden Ratio. This process is repeated multiple times, resulting in the intricate pattern of the fractal.

What are some real-life applications of the Dragon Curve Fractal?

The Dragon Curve Fractal has been used in various fields such as computer graphics, cryptography, and chaos theory. It has also been studied for its self-similar properties and has been applied in the design of antennas, microchips, and even music compositions.