Why is there a higher peak at resonance frequency?

In summary: If you are using a transmission line, (like the type used in RF circuits), then there will be a constant response. The frequency of the signal will determine how much power is delivered to the coil.In summary, when measuring the power dissipated by a coil in an RLC circuit, there is a peak at the resonant frequency due to the effects of the driver power.
Bromio
Hi.

When using spectrum analyzer to measure the response of a coil (a RLC circuit), I see that there is a peak at one frequency (resonance frequency). This is logical because we can model a coil as a RLC circuit. If I change the frequency of the sinusoidal source, the peak reduces its value.

My question is: why is there a higher peak at resonance frequency? If what I measure is the power dissipated (by the resistor, of course), why is there a dependence with frequency?

If complex power is written as [itex]P = P_{loss}+2j\omega\left(W_m-W_e\right)[/itex], where [itex]P_{loss} = \frac{1}{2}\left|I\right|^2R[/itex] is the dissipated power, [itex]W_e[/itex] is the electric energy stored in the capacitor and [itex]W_m[/itex] is the magnetic energy stored in the inductor, why the analyzer doesn't show a constant peak value (given by [itex]P_{loss}[/itex]) whatever the frequency of the sinusoidal source?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would guess that the driver power reaches its maximum at the resonance frequency, but it is hard to tell if you don't show the setup and explain where you measure what.

I rolled two wires around the coil: one coming from the sinusoidal signal generator and another one going to the spectrum analyzer, which also showed "power" (dissipated power, I suppose).

So, I was measuring the voltage drop in the coil (which can be modeled as a RLC circuit). Sweeping frequencies I noted there was a higher peak at resonance frequency.

Thanks.

mfb said:
I would guess that the driver power reaches its maximum at the resonance frequency.

That's the reason, but I agree that what happens can seem like a paradox at first sight.

If the driving frequency is constant, then once the starting transient has decayed the power dissipated in the resistor is (obviously) the same as the power supplied by the signal generator.

The phase angle between the the generator voltage and current changes as you go through the resonant frequency. That is why the power (in watts) from the generator is not necessarily the same as the volt-amps it is producing.

Maybe this is easier to see with a mechanical oscillator like a mass on a spring. If you apply a force an a frequency much lower than resonance, you can ignore the inertia of the mass. The applied force is in phase with the motion, so the positive work you do compressing the spring is equal to the negative work done by the spring when you release it.

At a frequency much higher than resonance, you can ignore the force in the spring compared with the inertia force needed to accelerate the mass. The displacement is now 180 degrees out of phase with the force, but the effect is the same: the work you do on the mass averages out to zero, over a complete cycle.

Away from resonance, a plot of work done against time may have large positive and negative amplitudes in each cycle (analogous to measuring volt-amps) even though the average work done over the cycle is low (analogous to measuring watts).

But when you are at the resonant frequency, the displacements are 90 degree out of phase with the force, and you do work on the system over the complete cycle. And of course as the amplitude increases, a constant force does even more work, because the product of force x distance increases.

Bromio said:
Hi.

When using spectrum analyzer to measure the response of a coil (a RLC circuit)

I think you need to supply more detail on your measurement setup. Are you using spectrum analyzer tracking gen for source? If not what is the source, 50 ohms? How is inductor connected to 50 ohm input to spectrum analyzer and the source, coaxial cable? Are you doing anything to match your inductor to 50 ohms (i.e. broadband attenuator)?

To give you an idea where I am going with this, if you are using coax to extend source & spectrum analyzer down to your inductor, you will see periodic dips in response due the the cable lengths.

What is power at resonance frequency?

Power at resonance frequency refers to the amount of energy that is transferred to a system when it is operating at its resonant frequency. This frequency is the natural frequency of the system, at which it vibrates with the greatest amplitude.

How is power at resonance frequency calculated?

To calculate power at resonance frequency, you need to know the resonant frequency of the system and its quality factor (Q). The formula is P = (Q x ω x A2) / 2, where P is power, Q is quality factor, ω is angular frequency, and A is amplitude.

What is the relationship between power and resonance frequency?

At resonance frequency, the power transferred to the system is maximized. This is because the system is operating at its natural frequency, and therefore, the energy transfer is most efficient. As the frequency moves away from resonance, the power decreases.

How does power at resonance frequency affect the performance of a system?

The power at resonance frequency can greatly impact the performance of a system. If the system is designed to operate at resonance, it will have a higher efficiency and be able to handle larger amounts of energy. However, if there is too much power at resonance frequency, it can cause instability and potential damage to the system.

Can power at resonance frequency be controlled?

Yes, the power at resonance frequency can be controlled by adjusting the system's damping or stiffness. Changing these parameters can shift the resonant frequency and alter the amount of power transferred to the system. Additionally, using filters or dampers can help control the power at resonance frequency.