What Force Lifts the Bicycle Wheel Off the Ground?

• Thread starter physics10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Center
Have a great weekend!In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bicycle resting against a step and the forces acting on it. The question asks for the magnitude of the force needed to make the wheel lose contact with the ground. The individual responding provides a solution to the problem involving resolving the forces into perpendicular and parallel components and finding the equilibrium point. The individual also mentions that the solution may need to be verified with a teacher.
physics10
Please help this is due by Monday at 8:00am Eastern time. I don't know if I am did this problem correctly, please help.

Here is the question:

A bicycle is resting against a small step whose height is h=0.120m. The weight and radius of the wheel are W= 25.0 N, and r=0.340m. A horizontal force F is applied to the axle of the wheel. As the magnitude of F increases, there comes a time when the wheel just begins to rise up and loses contact with the ground. What is the magnitude of the force when this happens?

This is what I did:

torque=-F*(0.120m)+W(0.340m)=0
=-F(0.120m)+(25.0 N)*(0.340)=0
F=(25.0 N)*(0.340m)/(0.120m)=70.83= F=71 N

Please tell me if this is correct or not before Monday, I am a new member to this site so please bear with me--Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, when you chose the axis of rotation, you got the wrong distances.

Resolve the vectors to perpindicular

From yours:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is what I did:

torque=-F*(0.120m)+W(0.340m)=0
=-F(0.120m)+(25.0 N)*(0.340)=0
F=(25.0 N)*(0.340m)/(0.120m)=70.83= F=71 N
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BE SURE TO VERIFY THIS, ITS BEEN A WHILE!

I believe you have to resolve the two forces acting in this equilibreum to the perpindicular and parallel vectors. The perp vectors act to give torque, the parallell ones do nothing at all on the equilibreum.

the dist from step up to center is .220m

Using trig: sin(@) =.220/.340
@=40.32 degrees (below the 0 degree plane) (I'll use 40 degrees)

Get the perpindicular component of the 25 N force: Lay out the triangle on paper and find all the angles:
cos 40 = perp force/25 N
perp force = 19.15 N

Get the relationship for the perp component for the applied force:
cos 50 = perp component force/force applied horizontally.

As you pointed out, the two perpindicular forces resolved from (one from the wheel weight down, one from the applied force horiz) must equal 0 for equilibreum, same ccw and cw torque. so: that means that the perp force component must equal 19.15 N for the applied force, since this is what the other is. SO:

cos 50 = perp component force/force applied horizontally.

F applied horiz x cos50 =19.15
F applied horiz = 29.79 N <ans

Let me know what you think. Again its been awhile, this seems like a small number to me. I am sure though that you can not just use the vectors given and sum the torques to 0 without considering the angles.

yes, that's what i got.

Thanks-

Thanks for your help, I'll check it with my teacher on Monday and let you know.

1. What is the center of gravity?

The center of gravity is the point at which the entire weight of an object can be considered to act.

2. How is the center of gravity calculated?

The center of gravity can be calculated by finding the average location of the mass of an object. This can be done by dividing the total weight of the object by the total number of points at which the weight acts.

3. Why is the center of gravity important?

The center of gravity is important because it helps determine the stability and balance of an object. It also affects how an object moves and responds to external forces.

4. How does the center of gravity relate to torque?

The center of gravity is crucial in determining the torque, or rotational force, of an object. The torque is dependent on the distance between the center of gravity and the point at which the force is applied.

5. How does the center of gravity differ between objects?

The center of gravity can differ between objects depending on their shape, size, and distribution of mass. Objects with irregular shapes or asymmetrical mass distribution will have a different center of gravity than objects with symmetrical shapes and evenly distributed mass.