Solving an Electrostatic Force Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the magnitude of the electrostatic force on a third charge placed at a specific point in relation to two other point charges. The speaker uses symmetry to simplify the calculation and initially gets an answer of 4.8e-4 N, but the expected answer is 3.1e-8 N. After considering distance and units, it is determined that the speaker's answer is correct and the expected answer must be wrong.
eok20
I'm stuck on the following problem: Point charges of q_1=-12nC are placed at (-4,0) cm and (4,0) cm. Determine the magnitude of the electrostatic force on a third charge of q_2=20nC placed at (0,8) cm. So because of symmetry I figured that the x-components of the forces will cancel each other and the total force will be 2 times the y-component. So I did 2*k*q_1*q_2*sin63.4/(0.04^2+0.08^2) and got 4.8e-4 N but the answer is supposed to be 3.1e-8 N. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the distance (r) ?

Just check all your units. That's usually the problem when your off by several orders of magnitude.

Last edited:
my r^2 is (0.08^2+0.04^2). I'm pretty sure my units are right, I did 2(8.99e9)(12e-9)(20e-9)(sin63.43)/(0.08^2+0.04^2) = 4.8e-4 N

It looks like your answer is correct. If you copied the problem correctly, the solution must be wrong. This is clear if you do an order of magnitude estimate: the charges are of order 10^-8 C, and they are separated by about 10^-1 m, so the force should be of order 10^10*10^-8*10^-8/(10^-1)^2, or about 10^-4 N.

What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is a type of force that exists between electrically charged particles. It is caused by the attraction or repulsion of these particles due to their electric charges.

What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the magnitude of the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How do I solve an electrostatic force problem?

To solve an electrostatic force problem, you will need to use Coulomb's law and follow the steps of the problem-solving process. This includes identifying the known and unknown variables, converting them into the appropriate units, and plugging them into the equation to calculate the force.

What is the unit of electrostatic force?

The unit of electrostatic force is the Newton (N). This is the same unit used for other types of forces, such as gravitational force and frictional force.

What are some common applications of electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force has a wide range of applications in our daily lives. Some common examples include the attraction between opposite charges in static electricity, the operation of electronic devices such as speakers and microphones, and the use of electrostatic precipitators to remove particles from industrial exhaust gases.