Center of Gravity: Finding 0.387m from 1kg Sphere?”

In summary, we have a system consisting of two balls attached to a rod, with one ball having a radius of 0.0800m and a mass of 1.00kg, and the other ball having a radius of 0.100m and a mass of 2.00kg. We are trying to find the coordinates of each ball measured from the center of the 1kg ball. The formula for center of mass should be x_{CM} = (x_1 m_1 + x_2 m_2)/(m_1 + m_2), where x_1 and x_2 are the coordinates of each ball and m_1 and m_2 are their respective masses. However, the
Greenrose
i can get the answer i should for a ball with radius 0.0800m and mass 1.00kg is attached to a rod 0.400m long in length to a second ball with radius 0.100m and mass 2.00kg. Where is the center of gravity of the system.
i used the formula Xcg = (M*R + m*r)/(M+m) and get an answer of 0.093 but the answer in the back of the book says i should get 0.387m from 1kg sphere. Am i using the correct formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula for center of mass should be:
[tex]x_{CM} = (x_1 m_1 + x_2 m_2)/(m_1 + m_2)[/tex]

What are the coordinates of each ball measured from the center of the 1 kg ball?

If they want the distance from the 1kg sphere you should use the center of that sphere as the origin of your coordinate system. The equation you gave is correct, think carefully about what your values for R and r should be.

There are no coordinates of each ball measured from the center of the 1 kg ball, and I am not sure what differerent values of r to use i just used
(0.0800*1.00 + 0.100*2.00)/(2.00+1.00) any help would be appreciated:smile:

Greenrose said:
There are no coordinates of each ball measured from the center of the 1 kg ball,
You have to figure them out! Draw a diagram.

Note: Assuming that R and r are the radii of the two balls, the equation you used is incorrect. (You will need the radii to figure out the coordinates though.)

thanks very much:smile: i understand now

1. What is the center of gravity?

The center of gravity is the point at which an object's weight is evenly distributed, and it is also the point where the object will balance.

2. How is the center of gravity determined?

The center of gravity is typically determined by finding the geometric center of an object. For irregularly shaped objects, it can be calculated by finding the balance point where the object will balance on a pivot.

3. Why is finding the center of gravity important?

Finding the center of gravity is important because it helps determine how an object will behave when subjected to external forces. It is also crucial in designing stable structures and vehicles.

4. How is the center of gravity used in physics?

The center of gravity is used in physics to calculate an object's torque, which is its tendency to rotate around an axis. It is also used to determine an object's stability and how it will move under the influence of gravity.

5. Can the center of gravity be outside of an object?

No, the center of gravity is always located within an object. However, for objects with irregular shapes or holes, the center of gravity may be located outside of the physical boundaries of the object.