Standard Rf Values - Biology (Photosynthesis)

In summary, the Rf values for Chlorophyll a, Chlorophyll b, Xanthophyll, and Carotene can be found in a plant physiology manual (Reiss 1994). These values were obtained from spinach leaves extracted with hexane and chromatographed with petroleum ether-acetone-chloroform on silica-gl chromatography. The Rf values are as follows: carotene - 0.98, chlorophyll a - 0.59, chlorophyll b - 0.42, pheophytin - 0.81, xanthophyll 1 - 0.28, and xanthophyll 2 - 0.15. The color of the
Christina-
Would anyone happen to know where I could find the standard Rf values (for Chlorophyll a, Chlorophyll b, Xanthophyll, and Carotene) if varsol is the solvent? I'm trying to identify those plant pigments via Paper Chromatography, and I'd like to compare my results to the standards. The problem is, I've been looking and can't find it.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is what you can use:

"Rf values will be unique for each solvent. However, the general order of the Rf values should be the same because the more nonpolar pigments move farther in nonpolar organic solvents.
A recent plant physiology manual (Reiss 1994) identifies six pigments from spinach leaves extracted with hexane and chromatographed with petroleum ether-acetone-chloroform (3:1:1) on silica-gl chromatography. The pigments and their Rf's were:
carotene - 0.98
chlorophyll a - 0.59
chlorophyll b - 0.42
pheophytin - 0.81
xanthophyll 1 - 0.28
xanthophyll 2 - 0.15
The color of the bands can be a general guide to identify the pigments. Carotene is orange. Chorophylls are green. Chlorophyll a is a blue-green. Chlorophyll b is a yellow-green. Xanthophylls are yellow. Phaeophytin is chlorophyll lacking the central magnesium ion. Pheophytin is an olive-green."

Source: http://madsci.org/posts/archives/2001-12/1008377272.Bt.r.html
(Original source cited: Reiss, Carol 1994. Experiments in Plant Physiology. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.)

I can understand your need for accurate and reliable data in your research. In regards to standard Rf values for plant pigments using varsol as the solvent, I suggest consulting scientific literature or databases such as PubMed or ScienceDirect. These sources typically provide standardized Rf values for various compounds and solvents. Additionally, you can reach out to other researchers or experts in the field who may have experience with this specific solvent and can provide guidance or references. It is important to note that Rf values may vary depending on the specific experimental conditions, so it is best to compare your results to established standards within your own experiment. Good luck with your research!

What are Standard Rf Values in biology and how are they related to photosynthesis?

Standard Rf (retardation factor) values are a measure of how far a substance has traveled in a particular solvent during thin-layer chromatography. In photosynthesis, these values are used to determine the relative concentration and separation of pigments in plant leaves.

Why is it important to understand Standard Rf Values in photosynthesis?

Understanding Standard Rf Values in photosynthesis allows scientists to accurately identify and quantify the different pigments involved in the process. This information is crucial for studying the efficiency and effectiveness of photosynthesis in plants.

How do you calculate Standard Rf Values?

Standard Rf Values are calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the substance by the distance traveled by the solvent. This value is then used to compare the relative movement of different substances on a thin-layer chromatography plate.

What factors can affect Standard Rf Values in photosynthesis?

The type of solvent, temperature, humidity, and the type of pigment present can all affect the Standard Rf Values in photosynthesis. It is important to keep these factors consistent in order to obtain reliable and accurate results.

Can Standard Rf Values be used to identify unknown pigments in photosynthesis?

Yes, Standard Rf Values can be used to compare the movement of an unknown pigment to known pigments in order to identify it. This can help scientists determine the composition and efficiency of photosynthesis in different plant species.