Switching graduate programs

In summary: Ultimately, it is important to weigh your options and make the decision that best aligns with your goals and interests. In summary, it is possible to switch departments while pursuing a dual degree, but it is important to carefully consider all factors before making a decision.
EvLer
Is it possible for someone to start a graduate degree in department_1 and switch to other department_2 if doing a dual degree? Is it something practiced or possible... generally?

My case is that I have greater chances being admitted into program_2 (my REAL interest, but VERY competitive at this school) if i start in program_1, funding-wise for the most part. Admission in program_1 is pretty much a done deal and advisor is the one suggesting me this idea of switching if i decide not to pursue it anymore! so i am wondering if that is something not frowned upon... because my real goal is department_2, but i am a bit unconfident of being accepted just on my own.

Thanks for any advise, 'coz i am sort of torn and confused...:confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible to start a graduate degree in one department and then switch to another department if you are doing a dual degree. This is often done when students have greater chances of being accepted into their desired program, or when they have different interests that require study in different departments. However, before switching departments, it is important to speak to advisors from both programs to make sure that the courses and requirements for the two programs overlap enough that you can switch without having to take extra classes. Additionally, you should also discuss any potential funding implications with your advisors.

As a scientist familiar with the academic world, I can say that it is definitely possible for someone to start a graduate degree in one department and switch to another if they are pursuing a dual degree. This is a common practice, especially for students who have a strong interest in multiple fields or who have a specific career goal that requires expertise in both departments.

In terms of whether this is generally accepted or frowned upon, it really depends on the specific policies and culture of the two departments and the university as a whole. Some universities may have strict guidelines for dual degree programs and may not allow students to switch programs easily, while others may have more flexibility and encourage students to explore different areas of study. It would be best to consult with advisors or administrators in both departments to get a better understanding of their policies and expectations.

In your case, it seems like you have a strong interest in department_2 and are considering starting in department_1 for funding purposes. While this may be a viable option, it is important to carefully consider whether you are truly interested in and committed to department_1, as switching programs can be a complicated and time-consuming process. You should also consider the potential impact on your funding and academic progress if you were to switch to department_2 later on.

Ultimately, the decision to switch graduate programs should be based on your personal interests and career goals. If department_2 is your true passion and you are confident in your abilities, it may be worth applying directly to that program. However, if you feel that starting in department_1 will give you a better chance of being admitted and gaining funding, then it may be a practical choice for you. Just be sure to discuss your options with advisors and mentors who can provide guidance and support. Good luck with your decision!

1. What factors should I consider before switching graduate programs?

Switching graduate programs is a big decision and should not be taken lightly. Before making the switch, it is important to consider factors such as your long-term career goals, the reputation and ranking of the new program, funding opportunities, and the availability of research or internship opportunities in your field of study.

2. Will switching graduate programs affect my academic progress?

Switching graduate programs may affect your academic progress, as you may have to retake some courses or start your research from scratch. It is important to carefully evaluate your current academic standing and the requirements of the new program to determine any potential setbacks.

3. How will switching graduate programs impact my relationships with faculty and peers?

Switching graduate programs may affect your relationships with faculty and peers, as you will be leaving behind the academic and social networks you have established. However, this can also be an opportunity to expand your network and make new connections in your new program.

4. Can I transfer credits from my current program to the new one?

It is possible to transfer credits from your current program to the new one, but this will depend on the policies of the new program and the courses you have taken. It is important to speak with an academic advisor in both programs to determine which credits may be transferable.

5. How can I make a smooth transition when switching graduate programs?

To make a smooth transition when switching graduate programs, it is important to communicate with your current and new program advisors, plan ahead for any potential challenges, and stay organized with your coursework and research. It is also helpful to connect with other students in the new program and get involved in any relevant clubs or organizations.