Pachelbel's Canon in the 21st Century

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
In summary, the two guitarists playing this song are both good, but the first one does a better job of playing smoothly.
neutrino
This is a must hear! :biggrin:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=551670992127427964

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is the most maligned and misabused composition of all time. I didn't follow the link - just reading the thread title makes me physically ill.

Blues Traveler's song Hook was set to the Pachelbel Canon

If they mangled one of the most soothing classical pieces of all time, it's not a "must hear", it's a "musn't hear". At *any* cost. I'm not bothering to let the link load, I don't want it to spoil my memory of the piece.

On a related topic, I've found it difficult to find a truly good rendition of the Canon, most of them are too "staccato" for my taste. Anyone have suggestions please?

Tomita had a good rendition if you like sythesizer type music.

daveb said:
Tomita had a good rendition if you like sythesizer type music.

No way, I'm looking for good old traditional arrangements.

Ok, may be I'm not as "refined" as some of you are. I never said it was good. This is something like going through a crackpot theorist's website once in a while just to have a good laugh. If you don't like doing that either, then please accept my apologies.

I think that's pretty cool. Definitely doesn't sound bad. The vibratos were a bit shoddy at the beginning, but that kid is really good and I definitely wouldn't say he ruined it. Thanks for the link. I'd relate it to Joe Satriani and Tony MacAlpine in terms of how it was redone, obviously not as smooth as they'd do it though.

Good music piece, Unfortunately done to death

He does a good job of making it a rock song. It's actually not all that bad for some kid. Oh, and he is playing incredibly well, not easy what he's doing.

Last edited:
It's quite decent. I came in thinking I'd hate it so it must be pretty good.

Man ... this song was cutting edge in the late 1600s

Sounds surprisingly familiar to...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1491516901670441597
;)

This guy is a lot better.

I like it. :smile:

I actually bought a music CD for a friend last Christmas called Beethoven's Last Night by the group Trans Siberian Orchestra; bought a collection of Christmas songs by them as well for myself. The group takes older songs and makes them into rock.

moose said:
Sounds surprisingly familiar to...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1491516901670441597
;)

This guy is a lot better.

Whaa?

Nope.

Yeah I agree that second guy is a lot more stilited than the first one. They're both damn good at guitar, but the first one had the notes following one another more smoothly.

neutrino said:
Ok, may be I'm not as "refined" as some of you are. I never said it was good. This is something like going through a crackpot theorist's website once in a while just to have a good laugh. If you don't like doing that either, then please accept my apologies.

No need to apologise, I'm not "refined" either! :rofl:

I listen to Tool, A Perfect Circle and Dream Theater.

I was a complete metal head back in the day, listening to Slayer, Sepultura, Anthrax, Kreator et al. So I wouldn't call myself refined by any stretch.

I just like to keep my musical genres somewhat separate. I also love (non-operatic) classical music in its own right. But when I even see someone trying to butcher the same with rock instruments, I get a little unsettled. It's just me. :smile:

big man said:
Yeah I agree that second guy is a lot more stilited than the first one. They're both damn good at guitar, but the first one had the notes following one another more smoothly.

Really? I thought just the opposite, the second guy seems to be able to play far more smoothly... Whatever :/

Did you listen to the entire thing? At first, he might be playing slightly worse I suppose.

EDIT: Also, the first guy plays a simpler version. I like the more complicated one from the second guy :)

EDIT2: Is it just me or is the first guys guitar slightly out of tune?

Last edited:
Neutrino: the fusion of the intemporal beauty and simplicity of the PAchelbel Canon with the vitality and energy of the speed metal is (what can I say??) superb, excellent, really moving.

I am not a teenager, and I play more or less the George Winston version in piano. So you could think I would scorn this metalic version but I have to say that it is really enliving, fantastic!

Oh, and by the way, the guy who plays on the link I posted is the original. He has some other amazing stuff as well.

Says he didn't have any other videos.

The first guy is better, we know it.

Here's his first try at the song, he messed up a few times, but rather unnoticeably. Check it out at 1:49. :rofl:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LaU5T5OsgWA&mode=related&search=

Apparently this song is very difficult to play. 1849 Overture or something or other.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Se12JGfpCdY&mode=related&search=

He is really good man!

I liked this one too. "The Loner," original by Gary Moore
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6wC7nsYSh4A

The best non pro fingerwork I've seen on the internet (Crazy Train's solo, Eruption)
[MEDIA=youtube]MZogFCT0K7g[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]ijnCh3mKpb0[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]

And the God of guitar, Eddie van Halen, live (0:33 is where it really starts)
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]WiW_00uPOvw[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]

Can someone tell me why the Canon is so popular with these people?! :confused:

Just look at the playlist in the first link Mk provided (previous post).

I think the question should be: why the melody of Pachelbel’s canon moves people of any country, any age, any musical background?

If you have not been overexposed to it, its probably that some of its versions touches you. It seems that its original tune was in “Do mayor” (excuse, I don't know the equivalence in your american musical scale). May be this has something to do with its simplicity and beauty. I heared it first in George Winston arrangement for piano. Now I play such version, though not flawless.

So you got an almost universally moving classical melody and a really damn good arrangement in speed metal instruments. The kids are naturally interested...

Castilla said:
I think the question should be: why the melody of Pachelbel’s canon moves people of any country, any age, any musical background?
Probably the same can be said about the http://youtube.com/results?search_query=moonlight+sonata&search=Search"? Although, most of the videos feature the actual version, you can find jazz versions, too. :yuck:

excuse, I don't know the equivalence in your american musical scale
Never mind. Neither am I American nor do I have any idea of musical scales. :biggrin:

neutrino said:
Probably the same can be said about the http://youtube.com/results?search_query=moonlight+sonata&search=Search"? Although, most of the videos feature the actual version, you can find jazz versions, too.

Yes, a very high number of "Canon playings videos" refer to the rock version. That's because the larger portion of "You tube" viewers and listeners are beginning their twenties, I think... but you can also find the George Winston, played by himself. The "Chocotiger"'s version is also very nice.

I would like to describe the emotions the Winston arrangement produces, at least at me (serenity and peace and all that), but I am not good in english.

Argh! For years, I've been trying to tell anyone who would listen! I want to start a group that does the classics using modern instruments and techniques!

I've been trying to get my friend to do a metal version of Beethoven's Ninth.

And yes, I loved Siberian Orchestra.

Curious3141 said:
If they mangled one of the most soothing classical pieces of all time, it's not a "must hear", it's a "musn't hear". At *any* cost. I'm not bothering to let the link load, I don't want it to spoil my memory of the piece.
A classic, played by a skilled and dedicated artist, is still a classic. That's what (circularly) makes it a classic.

Last edited:
A note ... some would say (and not without reason) that the original version of the Canon has too much sugar for their tastes... well, that doubious sweetness is balanced in the rock version by its energy and vitality.

DaveC426913 said:
Argh! For years, I've been trying to tell anyone who would listen! I want to start a group that does the classics using modern instruments and techniques!

I believe that in the first 70's some progressive band played a masterfully version of the most known of Bach Tocattas...

Well, Dave, all I can say is: don't surrender your dream.

Yes, I know it seems a motto of kermit the frog.

That was great, but I reckon an original version done by an orchestra would be better, I've never listened to it properly, though I do of course recognise the tune.

DaveC426913 said:

I've been trying to get my friend to do a metal version of Beethoven's Ninth.

And yes, I loved Siberian Orchestra.
w00t TSO! :!) :biggrin: :cool:

After I learn how to play guitar I know I am going to do that. Although a band would be better than one person.

In the best songs thread I posted the link to the guy who arranged this piece and who the person in the original post was immitating.

http://jerryc.tw/

The guy is excellent and he has a few vids on there and a few original compositions. I particularly like his rock on many techniques displayed there.

Last edited:
Yes! I love his rock on video O.O!

neutrino said:
This is a must hear! :biggrin:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=551670992127427964

Its very good, he has a lot of talent...

The most classical I ever get is derek May Strings of Life anyway :tongue2:

I remember seeing a while back when he (jerryC) posted the canon rock video on a guitar forum he went to and people went nuts. The place he hosted it had to take it down because the bandwidth usage went through the roof. his career really took off from that one video and I must say I really do like the guys stuff a lot.