Innacurate movie physics project

In summary: Coulombs.2. To find how much energy is needed, I need to find the surface area of the ships and the particles. I do this by using the equation for the energy of a charged capacitor. I get a ballpark estimate of the capacitance and plug that in to the equation to find the energy needed.This concludes my summary of the conversation. In summary, our teacher has given us a project in which we have to find two scenes in movies that are physically impossible and analyze how they are impossible. Our first scene is from the matrix movies where Neo and Trinity are flying their ship and the acceleration is too much for the ships to hold up. I am having
Voltaire429
Hi, I am in 11th grade and am currently in my first year of physics.

I need to use Coulomb's laws to prove that creating a repulsive force of 110833 Newtons would take an impossible amount of energy to generate...but its not really that simple, please read on.
Our teacher recently assigned us a project in which we have to find two physically impossible scenes in movies and analyze how they are physically impossible (using the various equations and such that we learned throughout the year) The analysis need to be mathematical, not merely conceptual (ie, i can't just use the flying scene from crouching tiger hidden dragon and state that human flight is impossible).

For my two scenes, i decided to use 2 scenes from the matrix movies, one of them i am having no problem analyzing, the second one is quite difficult though.

It's the scene in matrix 3 when neo and trinity are flying their ship and they accelerate upwards very fast. I deemed this scene impossible because since the ships levitate the same way antigrav lifters do (by charging air particles and using repulsive forces to thrust upwards) I realized that it would take an impossible amount of energy to generate an electric field that could create a repulsive force that is that huge. I am just having trouble proving this using Coulomb's laws. I was hoping someone could help me.

This is the information i have so far
Ship's approxomate mass: 45,000 Kg (mass of a Boeing 737)

Acceleration: 2.46 m/s at 40 degrees relative to the ground (the ship is rising on a slant, much like how a plane takes off)

Net force on the ship (found by multiplying mass by acceleration): ~110833 N

So basically, i need to use Coulomb's laws to prove that creating an electric field with a repulsive force of 110833 Newtons would take an impossible amount of energy to generate...any ideas on how to do that?

So far, i tried using F = [k(q1)(q2)]/r^2 and I got (q1)(q2) = 1.23x10^13 Coulombs (which is a HUGE amount of charge)
BUT... that's assuming that the radius would be 1 meter...i have no idea what to plug in for the radius.

Also, i assumed that q1 and q2 are equal but opposite (therefore 1.23x10^13 is simply q^2) but is this a correct assumption? I'm not even sure what I am doing.

I'd like to somehow convert this to Joules or Watts, so that i can compare it to the output of a powerplant, thereby showing how impossible it is (ie "powering this ship would take an amount of energy equivalent to the output of 17 nuclear power plants")

I really have no idea where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, to get a repulsive force, you need to have the two ships gain the same charge, not opposite charges (opposites attract, but you knew that, right?)

One way to go about it, pretend that both ships gained an equal amount of charge from the earth. Use the equation by which the energy of a charged capacitor is determined. Estimate the profile surface area of the ships to determine an approximate capacitance.

You are totally correct that there would be an absurd amount of charge required.

PS, is this by any chance an IB physics class?

Chi Meson said:
First of all, to get a repulsive force, you need to have the two ships gain the same charge, not opposite charges (opposites attract, but you knew that, right?)

One way to go about it, pretend that both ships gained an equal amount of charge from the earth. Use the equation by which the energy of a charged capacitor is determined. Estimate the profile surface area of the ships to determine an approximate capacitance.

You are totally correct that there would be an absurd amount of charge required.

PS, is this by any chance an IB physics class?

Hi, thanks for your speedy response.

I don't think i explained the problem very well, you see there's only ONE ship and it has electrical plates all over it that are suppsoed to lift it off the ground (using technology very similar to lifter technology).

Oh and its not an IB physics class, its just a regular junior level phys class (no college credit here ;-)

Thanks.

OK then, repulsive force needs two things. What specifically are the two things getting charged?

the 2 things getting charged are the particles in the air, and the plates on the ship (the will have equal charges and repel)

this is what I am thinking:

1. I use F = kq1q2/r^2 to get (q1q2). Assuming r = 1 meter (the charge plates charge particles roughly 1 meter away)

since q1 = q2 i can square root the answer to get Q

2. then i use Q = CV to get capictance in farads

3. then i use C = KEoA/r
to get the approxomate surface area of the kind of capacitor that would hold this ridiculous charge.

That sound about right?

Last edited:
yes but not only do you need to take into account the force of repulsion but you also need to use the force of attraction due to gravity,

F=mg or for a gravitational

[tex]F=\frac{GMm}{r^{2}}[/tex]

where M is the mass of the Earth and m is the mass of the ship.

so in order to find the net force on the ship, in motion,
i think this is correct.

[tex] F_{net}=m(g-a)[/tex], so this is the net force.

Last edited:
sorry my latex is not upto sctratch it was meant to say

Fn=m(g-a)

Fn is the net force

newo

ps. model the ship as a point charge

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of the "Inaccurate Movie Physics Project"?

The purpose of the "Inaccurate Movie Physics Project" is to identify and analyze the various scientific inaccuracies in popular movies and explain the correct science behind them. It aims to educate the public about the importance of accurate science representation in media and encourage filmmakers to strive for more realistic depictions of science in their movies.

2. How do you determine which movies to include in the project?

The movies included in the project are selected based on their popularity and the presence of significant scientific concepts or scenes. We also take into consideration suggestions from our audience and recommendations from experts in the scientific community.

3. What is the process of identifying and analyzing inaccurate movie physics?

The process involves watching the movie multiple times and identifying scenes that contain scientific concepts or phenomena. We then research and consult with experts in the relevant fields to determine the accuracy of the depictions. The analysis is then written and reviewed by multiple scientists to ensure accuracy.

4. Do you only focus on physics or do you cover other scientific fields?

While the project's main focus is on movie physics, we also cover other scientific fields such as biology, chemistry, and astronomy if they are portrayed inaccurately in movies. Our goal is to provide a comprehensive analysis of the scientific accuracy in popular films.

5. How can this project impact the movie industry and the public?

By highlighting the inaccuracies in movies, we hope to raise awareness among the public about the importance of accurate science representation in media. We also hope that this project will encourage filmmakers to consult with experts and strive for more realistic depictions of science in their movies. This can lead to a better understanding of science among the general public and potentially inspire future generations of scientists.