Inverse Calculator: Find Complex Representations of Numbers

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for a tool that takes a decimal number as input and returns a calculation that gives that number as the result. They are familiar with some tools that are essentially lookups on large tables, but the one they remember was a downloadable program that found increasingly-complex representations of the number. It was mentioned that it was different from the ISC and the documentation mentioned the ISC as well. The person asks if anyone knows about this tool or something similar. Maple's gfun is mentioned but it doesn't fit the description. The person finally finds the tool, RIES, by Robert Munafo.
CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm looking for a particular tool I once came across. It took a decimal number as input and tried to give some calculation which would return that number as the result. I'm familiar with http://oldweb.cecm.sfu.ca/projects/ISC/ISCmain.html, but neither of these is the tool I'm looking for. These tools are essentially lookups on large tables; the one I remember was a program that found increasingly-complex representations of the number that more closely aproximated it. Plouffe's tools are online; this one was downloadable (a console application, with source code I think). The documentation, such as it was, mentioned the ISC and explained how the two were different.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Failing that, does anyone know of something similar?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Maple's gfun is similar, but doesn't quite fit the description.

I finally found it, so I thought I'd mention it here in case someone else wanted to use it. It's RIES, by Robert Munafo:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mrob/pub/ries/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an inverse calculator?

An inverse calculator is a tool that allows you to find the complex representation of a given number. It is particularly useful in mathematical and scientific calculations involving complex numbers.

How does an inverse calculator work?

An inverse calculator uses a mathematical formula, known as the inverse function, to calculate the complex representation of a given number. The formula typically involves the use of trigonometric functions and complex numbers.

When is an inverse calculator used?

An inverse calculator is used when working with complex numbers, which are numbers that have a real and imaginary component. It is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

What are the benefits of using an inverse calculator?

Using an inverse calculator can save time and reduce the chances of making errors when calculating complex numbers. It also allows for more accurate and precise results, especially when dealing with large or complicated numbers.

Are there any limitations to using an inverse calculator?

While an inverse calculator can be a useful tool, it is important to note that it may not always provide the most simplified or accurate representation of a complex number. It is always best to double check the results and use other methods of calculation if necessary.