Exploring the Significance of Freely Indecomposable Groups in Mathematics

• Thread starter Oxymoron
  • Start date
In summary, a freely indecomposable group is important because it cannot be written as the direct product of smaller free groups. This concept is similar to prime numbers being the building blocks of integers. A finite group is also freely indecomposable, but this does not hold true for simple groups. A finite group cannot be written as the free product of two non-trivial groups, and this is due to the construction of the free product. Additionally, a freely decomposable group can be split into two subsets with no relations between them.
Oxymoron
Can anyone explain why a freely indecomposable group is important or handy?

I can't seem to understand the definition. It says that a group G is free indecomposable if

[tex]G = A \star B \Rightarrow G = A \vee G = B[/tex]

So is it really saying that a free product A * B is freely indecomposable if

[tex]A \star B \Rightarrow A \star B = A \vee A \star B = B[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never seen it before, but I think you're wrong to use equals signs, and they should be isomorphisms. Anyway, if G is free indecomposable it cannot be written as the direct product of strictly smaller free groups. And it is always important to know what the indecomposable objects in your theory are since they are by definition the building blocks of all objects in your theory.

Posted by Matt Grime:

...if G is free indecomposable it cannot be written as the direct product of strictly smaller free groups. And it is always important to know what the indecomposable objects in your theory are since they are by definition the building blocks of all objects in your theory.

This sounds like prime numbers! "If an integer is prime it cannot be written as a product of strictly smaller integers." Is there meant to be an analogy here? Besides, prime numbers are thought of as building blocks for the integers.

What is a finite group? Is it one which is simply generated by finitely many generators? I would say that a finite group is indecomposable. I have no clue as to why at this stage though. This is just a gut feeling.

What is a simple group? Is it simply a non-trivial group with no non-trivial normal subgroups? I would guess that a simple group is not indecomposable.

EDIT: Actually I take that back. I think that if [itex]G \equiv A \star B[/itex] is simple then it is freely indecomposable. Because if G is simple then it has no non-trivial normal subgroups.

Last edited:
A finite group is one with finitely many elements (*not* generators).

Anyway, it is clearly impossible to write a finite group as the free product of two non-trivial groups, so a finite group is, I suppose, free indecomposable.

The integers are also freely indecomosable with that definition.

Since there are finite simple groups your two gut feelings are contrdictory.

Z^2 is also free indecomposable, I believe. F_2 is not, nor is any free group with more than 2 generators.It is probably easier to describe what a 'free decomposition' of a group is.

G is freely decomposable if we can pick a partition of a set of generators of G into I and J, with G= <I>*<J> (<I> is the group generated by I).

I.e. we can split generators for G into two subsets which have no relations between them.

Last edited:
Posted by Matt Grime:

...it is clearly impossible to write a finite group as the free product of two non-trivial group...

Why is this clear? Why will I be unable to find two non-trivial groups whose free product will be finite? Is it because of how the free product is constructed?

Posted by Matt Grime:

Since there are finite simple groups your two gut feelings are contrdictory.

Did you post this after my edit? My gut now thinks that both simple and finite groups are freely indecomposable. And thanks to you I almost understand why the finite groups are freely indecomposable.

Just look at the definition of a free product. If G=A*B and A and B are non-trival, then there are nonidentity a and b in A and B. Now what can you say about ab,abab,ababab,ababababab, etc?

I don't follow your reasoning about simple groups. If G=A*B, then that does not say that A is normal in G. Indeed, it is clearly not normal *by the definition of free product*. I am almost forced to the conclusion that you do not know what a free product really is.

1. What does "freely indecomposable" mean?

"Freely indecomposable" refers to a mathematical concept where an object cannot be broken down into smaller, simpler components. In other words, it is not possible to find smaller substructures within the object that can be rearranged to form the original object.

2. How is "freely indecomposable" different from "indecomposable"?

The term "indecomposable" is used in a broader sense to describe any object that cannot be decomposed into smaller parts. "Freely indecomposable" specifically refers to a mathematical structure that cannot be decomposed in any way, whereas "indecomposable" can also refer to an object that cannot be decomposed in a specific way.

3. What are some examples of freely indecomposable objects?

Some examples of freely indecomposable objects include prime numbers in mathematics, atoms in chemistry, and fundamental particles in physics. These objects cannot be broken down into smaller components without losing their essential properties.

4. How is "freely indecomposable" relevant in scientific research?

In scientific research, the concept of freely indecomposable objects is important because it helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of our world. By identifying and studying these objects, we can gain a deeper understanding of their properties and how they interact with each other.

5. Can freely indecomposable objects ever be decomposed?

No, by definition, freely indecomposable objects cannot be decomposed into smaller components. However, in certain cases, they can be combined with other objects to form a larger structure. For example, atoms can combine to form molecules, but the individual atoms themselves are still freely indecomposable.