Help with Strange Reaction on He-4

In summary: There are no known reactions between thermal neutrons and He-4, and the data shown on the NNDC site is most likely erroneous. In summary, the conversation is discussing a possible reaction between thermal neutrons and He-4, which the speaker believes is not possible based on energy conservation. They are also discussing the use of He-4 as a replacement for He-3 in a thermal neutron detector, and potential sources of background noise in such a detector. The summary concludes that there are no known reactions between thermal neutrons and He-4, and the data shown on the NNDC site is most likely erroneous.
vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello,

can anybody help me out with the following (IMO) strange reaction:

HE-4(N,P)H,SIG

I'm looking for the thermal neutron reactions on He-4, and according to this site:
http://www3.nndc.bnl.gov/exfor7/endf00.htm

(enter target He-4, reaction n)

the above reaction has a tabulated cross section well into the thermal and cold domain (~10^(-2) barn and up). The Q-factor for this reaction is something like 801 KeV.

However, when I try to calculate the energetic balance, using the values given by

http://www3.nndc.bnl.gov/nudat2/reCenter.jsp?z=1&n=2

then this doesn't make any sense:

neutron: Delta = 8.0713 MeV
He-4: Delta = 2.4249 MeV
proton: Delta = 7.289 MeV

neutron + He-4 - proton = 3.2072 MeV

and nothing containing a proton has such a low energy content, so this reaction is energetically not possible IMO.

I suspect a He-3 contamination in the He-4 when these data were taken, but am I totally off and is this reaction real ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
neutron + He-4 - proton
I don't see this reaction as possible.

He-4 has a low cross-section, and it is more likely to scatter, than absorb a neutron. I tried a Q-calc with n and He-4, but it kept giving me n and H-4.

I don't think n + He-4 -> H-4 + p is feasible, but

n + He4 -> T + n' + p might be possible, but I believe that requires some threshold energy.

He-3 certainly loves neutrons.

The point is: I wanted to use He-4 as a replacement for He-3 in a thermal neutron detector to find out what is the background of non-thermal neutron counts. But if there is a (small) cross section of He-4 for thermal neutrons, this screws me. Moreover the Q is comparable to the He-3 reaction, so I wouldn't be able to discriminate against it.
This is why it annoyed me to find this tabulated cross section for He-4 (n,p) on the NNDC site. So do you think it is an error in their data tables ?

I looked for information on n,p reactions for He-4 and could not find anything. What I did find it this -
http://www3.nndc.bnl.gov/exfor7/servlet/E4sGetEvaluation?EvalID=16316&req=4999

The cross section for n-absorption by He-4 is small (0.05 barn) for thermal neutrons, and I believe that is for n,g, although the above link has a statement - "THERE ARE NO GAMMA IN NEUTRON INTERACTION WITH HE-4 NUCLEI". The cross-sections for n,g by Kr and Xe are approximately 24 b for thermal neutrons.

What neutron spectrum are you investigating? Thermal + epithermal?

To discriminate from thermal neutrons, in the past I have used a box covered in Gadolinium which absorbed the thermal neutrons but allowed higher energy neutrons to enter. The box was filled with water and my colleagues and I used small buttons of Cd to activate by the epithermal neutrons slowing down to thermal energies in the water. It was a crude experiment.

The data I'm talking about is here:

http://www3.nndc.bnl.gov/exfor7/servlet/E4sGetIntSection?SectID=304113&req=5007

I'm now more and more convinced that this is erroneous.

(you can find the file by going to the http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/exfor7/endf00.htm
page, and filling in:
target 4He
reaction n,p

and submitting.

You then ask for "reactions" and you get said data.

Astronuc said:
What neutron spectrum are you investigating? Thermal + epithermal?

To discriminate from thermal neutrons, in the past I have used a box covered in Gadolinium which absorbed the thermal neutrons but allowed higher energy neutrons to enter. The box was filled with water and my colleagues and I used small buttons of Cd to activate by the epithermal neutrons slowing down to thermal energies in the water. It was a crude experiment.

The problem is that we have to establish extremely low backgrounds in a flux of thermal neutrons (requirements of less than 1 count per minute on an area of > 3m^2 in a flux of thermal neutrons that can go up to 10^6/second - simply crazy requirements). Now, there are of course also cosmic neutrons, an entire gamma spectrum, epithermal and other at that low level. The "trick" I wanted to use was to fill the detector with He-4 instead of He-3, because as such, I am sure that I ONLY see non-thermal neutrons and other stuff. In other words, I'm sure I have a pure background measurement in real conditions of use.
But if there is a reaction with thermal neutrons in He-4, then this trick won't work, because my main "background" will be in fact a signal.

The point is that I don't seem to find any reaction n(thermal) + He-4 -> anything that can respect conservation of energy (except for elastic scattering).

The point is that I don't seem to find any reaction n(thermal) + He-4 -> anything that can respect conservation of energy (except for elastic scattering).
I believe that is correct.

1. What is a "strange reaction" on He-4?

A "strange reaction" on He-4 refers to an unexpected or unusual behavior observed in the element helium-4 (He-4). This could include changes in its physical or chemical properties, or reactions with other elements or substances that are not typically seen.

2. What could cause a strange reaction on He-4?

There are several possible causes for a strange reaction on He-4, including exposure to high temperatures or pressures, interaction with other elements or compounds, or changes in its environment or physical state.

3. Is a strange reaction on He-4 dangerous?

In most cases, a strange reaction on He-4 is not dangerous. However, if the reaction involves extreme changes in temperature or pressure, or if it produces toxic byproducts, it could potentially be harmful. It is important to always handle He-4 and any substances involved in a reaction with proper safety precautions.

4. Can a strange reaction on He-4 be predicted or controlled?

While scientists have a good understanding of the properties and behaviors of He-4, there is still much to be learned about its reactions with other elements and substances. As such, predicting or controlling a strange reaction on He-4 is currently not possible. More research and experimentation is needed to fully understand and potentially manipulate these reactions.

5. How can studying strange reactions on He-4 benefit scientific research?

Studying strange reactions on He-4 can provide valuable insights into the properties and behavior of this element, as well as how it interacts with other elements and compounds. This information can be used to further our understanding of fundamental chemistry and physics, and potentially lead to new discoveries and applications in various fields such as materials science, energy production, and nuclear physics.