Magnitude of charge on oil drop (electric field)

In summary, a positively charged oil drop with a mass of 1.00 × 10−15 kg is placed between two oppositely charged plates in a uniform electric field of 0.680 × 104 N/C. The drop remains stationary due to the balanced forces of gravity and the electric field. The charge on the drop can be determined by using the equation U = -(G(m1)(m2))/r.
kbyws37
A positively charged oil drop of mass 1.00 × 10−15 kg is placed in the region of a uniform electric field between two oppositely charged, horizontal plates. The drop is found to remain stationary under the influence of the Earth's gravitational field and the uniform electric field of 0.680 × 104 N/C. What is the magnitude of the charge on the drop?

I am not sure where to start. I am given a mass so would I start with

U = -(G(m1)(m2))/r

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
If the drop is stationary, what can you say about the net force on the drop?

would force = 0?

do you mean net force?

Sorry, I'm still confused.
Wouldn't gravity be the force that allows it to drop?
Which equation would be good to use?

The force of gravity acts down on the drop, but the drop is charged and it sits (stationary) between two charged plates. Since it is stationary, what can you say about the acceleration and net force on it?

There is no acceleration and thus net force = 0

Good, now what two forces act on the drop?

gravity and drag force?

Drag force??
A positive charge is in an electric field.

gravity and the weight of the drop

those are the same character!(force)
I gave you a big hint.

1. What is the magnitude of charge on an oil drop?

The magnitude of charge on an oil drop, also known as the electric charge, is the amount of electricity that is present on the oil drop. It is measured in Coulombs (C) and can be either positive or negative.

2. How is the magnitude of charge on an oil drop determined?

The magnitude of charge on an oil drop can be determined through the Millikan oil drop experiment. This experiment involves measuring the motion of an oil drop in an electric field and using the equations of motion to calculate the charge on the oil drop.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of charge on an oil drop?

The magnitude of charge on an oil drop is affected by the strength of the electric field, the density of the oil drop, and the viscosity of the surrounding air. It can also be affected by any external forces acting on the oil drop.

4. Can the magnitude of charge on an oil drop be changed?

Yes, the magnitude of charge on an oil drop can be changed by altering the electric field or by adding or removing charges from the oil drop. In the Millikan oil drop experiment, the electric field can be adjusted to change the charge on the oil drop.

5. Why is the magnitude of charge on an oil drop important?

The magnitude of charge on an oil drop is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of charged particles in electric fields. It also has applications in various scientific fields, such as fluid dynamics, electrostatics, and colloidal chemistry.