Question about rusting on iron nails.

In summary, the student is trying to figure out how to rust iron nails in a controlled environment. They need to determine what conditions are necessary for rusting to occur, what prevent rusting, and what variables need to be accounted for.
~julz~

Homework Statement

For my science assignment coming up i need to know more about rusting on iron nails, like how and why it occurs, what conditions help the process, what conditions don't and any other information would be very helpful.
I will be setting up my own experiment so help solve this but I would like to narrow the 'search' for conditions, why and how.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
too easy

[tex]4Fe + x.H_2O + 3O_2 \to Fe_2O_3.xH_2O[/tex]

ok, I am only in high school, and I am in year 9, so could you mabye explain it so that i will understand?

Iron in presence of water and oxygen, from (flaky) rust on outermost layer of the metal .

conditions necessary:
1. Presence of Oxygen
2. Presence of water

Prevention
-Paiting
-Greasing
-Galvanization
-Coating with metal
-Making alloy (steel) with nickel and chromium

So with my experiment, would the variables be...

1. Iron nails outside, dry conditions.
2. Iron nails in water, fully surrounded.
3. Iron nails outside sprayed with water.

Tell me what you think of my experiment so far.

1. No rusting would occur due to absense of water
2. Rusting would still occur due to absorbed [tex]O_2[/tex] in water
3. Rusting would occur due to moisture in air

Variables should be
1. Exposed to both air and water - rusting occurs
2. Exposed to water only - no rusting occurs
3. Exposed to air only

Summing it up

1. Take three test tubes A, B and C (corked)

2. Test tube A [Both air and water] - Iron nails partially immersed in water and air in test tube

3. Test tube B [Only water]- Iron nails fully immersed in boiled water (to remove dissolved air) and layer of oil aove water to prevent [tex]O_2[/tex] to dissolve in water

4.Test Tube C [Exposed to Air only] - Iron nails exposed to dry air (Use a drying agent like calcuim chloride [tex]CaCl_2[/tex]

im not sure i'll be able to get all of the requirements, but i will try to manage with what i have got. Thank you for all your help .ultimate

1. What causes iron nails to rust?

Iron nails rust when they come into contact with oxygen and water. This causes a chemical reaction that produces iron oxide, also known as rust.

2. How long does it take for iron nails to rust?

The speed at which iron nails rust depends on various factors such as humidity, temperature, and the presence of other chemicals. Generally, it can take a few days to a few months for rust to form on iron nails.

3. Can rust on iron nails be prevented?

Yes, rust on iron nails can be prevented by keeping them dry and free from exposure to oxygen. This can be achieved by coating the nails with a protective layer, such as paint or oil, or by storing them in a dry environment.

4. Is rust on iron nails harmful?

Rust on iron nails is not harmful to humans. However, it can weaken the nails and make them more prone to breakage or corrosion. In some cases, rust can also cause staining on surfaces or objects in contact with the nails.

5. Can rust on iron nails be removed?

Yes, rust on iron nails can be removed by scrubbing it with a wire brush or using chemical rust removers. However, it is important to note that the rust may return if the nails are not properly protected from moisture and oxygen.