Solving Zener Circuit: Vs=50V, Vz=10V, Iz=32mA, R1=1K Ohm

• Thread starter cowgiljl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a multisim program to determine the range of Rl, Il, and Vrl in a circuit with known values of Vs, Vz, Iz, and R1. The circuit consists of R1 in series with the source and a zener, and Rl in parallel with the zener. After performing calculations, the range of Rl is determined to be 556 ohms, with a corresponding Il of 18mA and Vrl of 10V. The person also mentions finding a helpful example in an old text and expresses gratitude.
cowgiljl
This is what i have so far the knowns
Vs= 50v
Vz = 10 v
Iz = 32mA
R1 = 1K ohm
Rl =? "potentmeter"

i just got the multisim program and could draw the cir if need be

R1 is in series with the source and the zener and rl are in parallel

it wants me to determine the range of Rl, Il, Vrl

I havew so far is 50 /1K = 50mA
Vrl = 10 v
I l = 50mA-32 mA = 18 mA
Rl = 556 ohms

is this correct and how would i go about finding the range of Rl

thanks joe

Engineering news on Phys.org
To be certain, I need you to draw it.

thanks i found a pretty good example in an old text i had

thanks again

joe

1. What is a Zener circuit?

A Zener circuit is an electrical circuit that uses a Zener diode, which is a type of diode specifically designed to have a precise breakdown voltage. This allows it to maintain a constant voltage across its terminals, regardless of changes in the input voltage. Zener circuits are commonly used to regulate or stabilize voltage in electronic devices.

2. How does a Zener circuit work?

A Zener circuit works by using a Zener diode in parallel with a load resistor. When the input voltage (Vs) exceeds the breakdown voltage (Vz) of the Zener diode, it begins to conduct current in the reverse direction. This effectively acts as a shunt, diverting excess current away from the load resistor and keeping the output voltage (Vout) constant.

3. What are the components of a Zener circuit?

The main components of a Zener circuit include a Zener diode, a load resistor, and a power supply. The voltage source (Vs) provides the input voltage, while the Zener diode (Vz) and load resistor (R1) work together to regulate the output voltage (Vout). A current limiting resistor may also be used in series with the Zener diode to prevent it from burning out.

4. How do you calculate the output voltage of a Zener circuit?

The output voltage (Vout) of a Zener circuit can be calculated using the formula Vout = Vs - Vz, where Vs is the input voltage and Vz is the breakdown voltage of the Zener diode. In the example given, the output voltage would be 50V - 10V = 40V.

5. How do you choose the appropriate Zener diode and load resistor for a Zener circuit?

The Zener diode and load resistor for a Zener circuit should be chosen based on the desired output voltage and the maximum current that will be passing through the circuit. The Zener diode should have a breakdown voltage slightly higher than the desired output voltage, and the load resistor should have a value that will allow the desired amount of current (Iz) to flow through the circuit without exceeding the maximum power rating of the diode.