Exploring the Possibilities of Unparticle Physics: A Brief Overview

• Thread starter humanino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, participants have been noticing an increase in papers discussing "Unparticle" on the arXiv. One paper, written by Georgi, introduces the concept of a nontrivial scale invariant sector in an effective field theory. The paper discusses the low-energy physics of this sector and suggests a scenario for calculating the production of "unparticle stuff." This unparticle stuff, with a scale dimension of dU, can resemble a non-integral number of invisible particles in the low energy limit. Some participants are puzzled by this concept and are seeking further information and discussion about it. The paper has received a significant amount of attention and citations. There is also an interview with Dr. Georgi discussing the topic.
humanino
Hi everyone,

lately I have been rather busy, but I keep seeing papers untitles "Unparticle" + something on the arXiv popping out every now and then. So today I decided I would take a look at this odd stuff. I found a paper from Georgi in particular where the conept seems to be introduced first.
abstract said:
I discuss some simple aspects of the low-energy physics of a nontrivial scale invariant sector of an effective field theory — physics that cannot be described in terms of particles. I argue that it is important to take seriously the possibility that the unparticle stuff described by such a theory might actually exist in our world. I suggest a scenario in which some details of the production of unparticle stuff can be calculated. I find that in the appropriate low energy limit, unparticle stuff with scale dimension dU looks like a non-integral number [tex]d_U[/tex] of invisible particles. Thus dramatic evidence for a nontrivial scale invariant sector could show up experimentally in missing energy distributions.
I must admit that it puzzled me a little bit, and I will probably print this paper and read it tonight. In the meantime, I guess I could greatly benefit from a few informal comments about this subject. Is anybody familiar with this new stuff ?

Thanks in advance for any help :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I also noticed the trend last week. It is getting a lot of citations, but I wonder if it is just because of boredoom.

Really it is getting a lot of attention:

http://www.citebase.org/search?type=identifier&maxrows=10&identifier=oai%3AarXiv.org%3Ahep-ph%2F0703260&order=DESC&rank=lastupdate [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is unparticle physics?

Unparticle physics is a theoretical concept that proposes the existence of a new form of matter that does not fit into the traditional categories of particles, such as atoms, electrons, and protons. It is believed to arise from the interactions between particles at very high energies, and its properties are still largely unknown.

2. How is unparticle physics different from traditional particle physics?

Unparticle physics is different from traditional particle physics in that it does not have a defined mass, spin, or other properties that are typically associated with particles. Instead, it is described by a scale-invariant theory, which means that its properties do not change with energy. This makes it difficult to detect and study.

3. What evidence do we have for unparticle physics?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for unparticle physics. However, some theories predict that it could explain phenomena such as dark matter and the hierarchy problem in particle physics. Additionally, some experiments at the Large Hadron Collider have looked for signs of unparticle interactions, but have not yet found conclusive evidence.

4. How do scientists study unparticle physics?

Because unparticle physics is still a theoretical concept, scientists study it through mathematical models and simulations. These models can be used to make predictions about the behavior and properties of unparticles, which can then be tested through experiments at high-energy particle accelerators.

5. What are the implications of discovering unparticle physics?

If unparticle physics is confirmed, it could lead to a better understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and potentially open up new areas of research and technology. It could also help solve some of the mysteries in particle physics, such as the origin of mass and the nature of dark matter.