Whats the difference between an electric field and an electric current?

In summary, electric current is the flow of charge per unit time, while an electric field is the space around a charged particle that exerts a force on other charged particles. The electric field lines represent this force and can cause charged particles to move, resulting in an electric current.
the_highlander
My physics textbook talks about them like they are two different things. Can someone explain further?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Electric current is equal to one direction moving electrons in closed circular loop. We visualize the electric force (the "negative" force of the electrons) with the electric field. Also the protons have electric force.

An electric current is simply the flow of charge per unit time. Hence I = q/t

An electric field is the space around charged particle which it effects. Electric field lines are abstract; they simply show the space around a charged particle that will influence other charged particles.

Hm ... I'm not sure I like everything in those previous responses ...

But here's my 2 cents: the electric field gives the force per unit charge, i.e. if you put a unit "test charge" in the field and measure the force that would be exerted by it, that's the value of the field at that point. In other words, electric fields apply forces to charged particles.

Now, if those charges are free to move, as they are in a conductor for example, then they will move, and the rate at which they do (charge per unit time) is the electric current.

- Bruce

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged particle or object. It is a force field that can exert a force on other charged particles within the field.

2. What is an electric current?

An electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductive material. It is often described as the movement of electrons, although in some cases it can also be the movement of positively charged particles.

3. How are electric fields and electric currents related?

Electric currents are created by the presence of an electric field. The electric field exerts a force on charged particles, causing them to move and create a current.

4. What is the main difference between an electric field and an electric current?

The main difference is that an electric field is a static force field, while an electric current is a dynamic flow of charge. In other words, an electric field is a potential for movement, while an electric current is the actual movement of charge.

5. How are electric fields and electric currents measured?

Electric fields are measured in units of volts per meter (V/m), while electric currents are measured in units of amperes (A). Both can be measured using specialized instruments such as voltmeters and ammeters.