Holonomy, SO(6), SU(3) and SU(4)

• Thread starter AlphaNumeric2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Su(3)
In summary, GS&W point out that the holonomy group of K is a subgroup of SO(6) and that the spinors of definite chirality are in the 4 or 3 components of SU(4). However, they argue that this doesn't apply to the spinor of eta since it is a complex spinor, yet they talk about SU(4) matrices acting on a 4 component eta.
AlphaNumeric2
This springs from section 15.1.3 of Superstring Theory (Vol 2) by GS&W (should anyone have that to hand).

K is a compact 6 dimensional space, thus it's holonomy group is a subgroup of SO(6). Fine. [tex]\eta[/tex] is covariantly constant on K (comes from SUSY constraints). Thus need subgroup of SO(6), H, which has, for any U in H, [tex]U\eta = \eta[/tex]. Okay so far.

GS&W then point out that [tex]\mathcal{L}(SO(6)) \equiv \mathcal{L}(SU(4))[/tex]. That I understand. Spinors of definite chirality are then in the [tex]\mathbf{4}[/tex] or [tex]\mathbf{\bar{4}}[/tex] of SU(4). Okay with this. However, I don't see why this applies to [tex]\eta[/tex] since, from my understanding, [tex]\eta[/tex] would in a complex basis on a complex manifold, be a 3 component complex spinor, yet GS&W then talk about SU(4) matrices acting on a 4 component [tex]\eta[/tex].

Am I missing something? I can see SO(6) having a [tex]\mathbf{4}[/tex], which splits into a [tex]\mathbf{3}[/tex] and a [tex]\mathbf{1}[/tex] and then the holonomy preserving the singlet (and SU(3) works on the [tex]\mathbf{3}[/tex]) so that there's one and one only covariantly constant spinor on K (as is needed by the string constraints), but going into a 4 component complex basis just seems confusing.

Is this just a particular way of represending a spinor on a 6 dimensional manifold? Wouldn't the 4 components give [tex]\eta[/tex] too many degrees of freedom? I thought I had my head around the whole Calabi Yau thing and it's construction via supersymmetry breaking but the 4 component spinor has thrown me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I am missing the question, but SU(4) has a maximal subalgebra (spinor) that goes like Sp4 or SU(2) * SU(2) so it makes good sense to work in a 4 component complex basis. If you were looking at the real irreps then yes you would look at the maximal subalgebra that goes like SU(3) *U(1)

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Yeah, I was getting mixed up about real and complex reps and the symmetries involved which kept the number of degrees of freedom the same. A lot more reading and thinking has helped.

1. What is holonomy?

Holonomy is a mathematical concept that refers to the parallel transport of vectors along a closed curve in a curved space. It is used in differential geometry and has applications in physics, particularly in the study of general relativity.

2. What is SO(6)?

SO(6) is a special orthogonal group in six dimensions. It is a Lie group, meaning it is a continuous group of transformations that can be described by a set of parameters. In particular, SO(6) is the group of rotations in six-dimensional space.

3. What is SU(3)?

SU(3) is a special unitary group in three dimensions. It is also a Lie group and is closely related to SO(6). It is commonly used in the study of quantum mechanics and particle physics, particularly in the theory of strong interactions.

4. What is SU(4)?

SU(4) is a special unitary group in four dimensions. Like SU(3), it is a Lie group and is used in the study of particle physics, specifically in the theory of grand unification. It is also related to SO(6) and SU(3) through mathematical relationships.

5. How are these groups related?

Holonomy, SO(6), SU(3), and SU(4) are all connected through mathematical relationships and have applications in different fields of mathematics and physics. SO(6) and SU(3) are both subgroups of SU(4), and all three groups have applications in the study of particle physics. Additionally, holonomy is used in differential geometry, which is closely related to the study of Lie groups.