How to Find x + y When xy = 1,000 Without Using 10 as a Factor?

• Thread starter mustang
  • Start date
In summary, to find x + y, we first need to make a list of the prime factors of 1000, which are 5, 5, 5, 2, 2, and 2. To distribute these factors into two sub-lists without having both 2 and 5 in the same sublist, we have to have all the 2's in one sublist and all the 5's in the other. This gives us the values of x = 8 and y = 125, which we can add together to get a final answer of 133.
mustang
If x and y are whole numbers that don't have10 as a factor, and if xy = 1,000, find x + y.

Physics news on Phys.org
Make a list of prime factors of 1000. Distribute this into two sub-lists. Make sure that neither sub-list contains a 2 and 5 in the same sub-list. Hint, there are 6 prime factors, only two distinct, and only one way to divy them up according to these rules.

The list

I need more help.!

This is what turin means

1000 = 5*5*5*2*2*2

To distribute this into sublists looks like this:

Code:
2         2*2*5*5*5
2*2      2*5*5*5

But we can't have both 2 and 5 in either sublists (that would give us a multiple of 10).

So the only way to resolve this is to have all the two's in one sublist and the three 5's in the other sublists, so we have: 2*2*2= 8 and 5*5*5 = 125.

x = 8, y=125

1. How do I solve for x and y when xy = 1,000?

To solve for x and y when xy = 1,000, you can use the substitution method. First, rewrite the equation as x = 1000/y. Then, substitute this value of x into the original equation to solve for y. Once you have a value for y, you can plug it back into the equation x = 1000/y to solve for x.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve for x and y?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve for x and y. Most scientific calculators have the ability to solve equations with two variables, such as xy = 1,000. Simply input the equation and the calculator will give you the values of x and y.

3. Are there multiple solutions for x and y when xy = 1,000?

Yes, there are multiple solutions for x and y when xy = 1,000. For example, x = 250 and y = 4 is one solution, as well as x = -500 and y = -2. It is important to check your answers by plugging them back into the original equation to ensure they satisfy the given condition.

4. Can I use algebraic manipulation to solve for x and y when xy = 1,000?

Yes, you can use algebraic manipulation to solve for x and y when xy = 1,000. You can rewrite the equation as x = 1000/y and then use basic algebraic operations, such as factoring and simplifying, to solve for y. Once you have a value for y, you can plug it back into the equation x = 1000/y to solve for x.

5. How can I apply this equation in real-life situations?

The equation xy = 1,000 can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the dimensions of a rectangle with a fixed area of 1,000 square units. It can also be used in finance, such as determining the interest rate when the principal and final amount are known to be 1,000. Additionally, this equation can be used in science and engineering to calculate values for variables that are inversely related.