How to Split a Room Easily and Efficiently?

• Thread starter hinella
  • Start date
In summary, the speakers are discussing the best way to divide an average sized bedroom into two rooms, with one person suggesting a folding door and others suggesting a lightweight, sound proof material. They also discuss the possibility of a removable wall and the availability of such materials at stores like Home Depot or Staples. Another suggestion is to use a folding or sliding door with sound inhibiting qualities. The idea of using 2x4s and drywall is also mentioned, but the level of permanence and sound proofing ability is questioned.
hinella
I would like to divide an average sized bedroom into two rooms. I thought that a folding door could do, but I would like to know if there is some kind of light weight, sound proof material I could use to separate the two parts. I would just split the room in the middle with this kind of wall if something like this exists. Does anyone know the easiest and best kind of wall ? I would also like it to be easily removable. Any ideas ? Thanks for any ideas.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Hinella.
You will have to provide more specific information to get an informed answer. Such things as solidity, sound isolation (you won't get sound proof), mutual access, etc. will be determining factors toward a solution.

Simply some kind of wall that divides a room in two, with relatively good sound isolation, and maybe a door between the two rooms. Do you have some kind of wall in mind ? do they sell them at say Home Depot or something ?

The material should be relatively light and strong, but just what is available commercially for these kinds of small projects ? thanks for any ideas.

You can get room dividers (ie: folding or telescoping walls on rails) from just about any office supply company. That might be your best apporach. Call someone like Staples or Ikea and find out what they've got.

hai
i think a equal width of some wood (5cm) or plywood could be placed.and if u need free air to pass through u can leave space between the wood which could be used as the window.

Last edited:
Your best bet would be to look for a folding or sliding door or folding wall panel, the'yre just sliding room dividers that go from floor to ceiling. If you do a search for acoustic folding door then you can find some doors made of materials with sound inhibiting qualities.

makethings said:
Your best bet would be to look for a folding or sliding door or folding wall panel, the'yre just sliding room dividers that go from floor to ceiling. If you do a search for acoustic folding door then you can find some doors made of materials with sound inhibiting qualities.

yep, folding sliding doors are one of the best option to divide a room. http://www.doorsandmore.biz" [Broken] can be useful to separate rooms as well as can be a good option for saving lots of space in your home and it can also give different look to your home interior.

Last edited by a moderator:
How permanent? How involved? How sound proof?

Throwing up some 2x4s and drywall might take you a day. It would be fairly permanent though.

You've got to be more specific about your needs.

DaveC426913 said:
Throwing up some 2x4s and drywall might take you a day.
Not to mention being rather painful.

: rim shot :

Hah! Beat you to it!

1. How do I determine where to place the divider in the room?

The placement of the divider depends on the size and layout of the room. You can use measuring tape and mark the center point of the room, or you can visually divide the room into equal parts. You can also consider the purpose of the divided space and place the divider accordingly.

2. What materials should I use for the divider?

The materials for the divider can vary depending on your budget and preferences. Some common materials include fabric, wood, metal, or even bookshelves. Consider the level of privacy and soundproofing you need when choosing materials.

3. Can I install the divider myself or do I need professional help?

The level of difficulty in installing the divider depends on the type of divider you choose. Fabric or panel dividers are generally easy to install and can be done by yourself. However, for more complex dividers like bookshelves or walls, it is recommended to hire a professional to ensure proper installation and safety.

4. How can I make the divided space feel cohesive with the rest of the room?

To make the divided space feel cohesive, you can use similar colors, patterns, or decor elements on both sides of the divider. You can also consider adding a rug or large piece of furniture that spans both sides of the divider to create a visual connection.

5. Can I move or remove the divider if I want to change the layout of the room?

Yes, most dividers are designed to be movable and can be easily removed. However, if you have installed a permanent divider like a wall, it may require professional help to remove it. Keep in mind any damage to the room or the divider itself when moving or removing it.