Discover the Unparticle Snowball Phenomenon: Top Cited Research Since 2006"

• Thread starter arivero
  • Start date
In summary, Georgi is saying that the definition of a particle is really dependent on the non interacting part.
arivero
Gold Member
Amazing

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/spires/find/hep/www?rawcmd=FIND+TOPCITE+50%2B+AND+DATE+AFTER+2006&FORMAT=www&SEQUENCE=citecount%28d%29

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
arivero said:
Amazing

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/spires/find/hep/www?rawcmd=FIND+TOPCITE+50%2B+AND+DATE+AFTER+2006&FORMAT=www&SEQUENCE=citecount%28d%29

Indeed it is amazing.
I thought at first you must have done a keyword search for unparticle papers but in fact all you asked for is that the paper was recent, date > 2006, and received 50+ cites.

the only papers that are really hot are the unpapers!

arivero said:
Amazing

It's incredible.

So someone who would have jumped on the bandwagon right away and published a few papers could have almost assured a job in some university :cry:

It's incredible.

Or UNcredible.

I won't start a new thread, but can someone explain this unparticle stuff to me. I read part of Georgi's paper. This is my take on the part I read, please correct me since I know I'm wrong.

What is a particle? In particle physics you consider cross sections of scattering events. You have some set of non interacting in particles they do something and you calculate the cross sections of the non interacting out particles. What could be argued is that the whole definition of a particle is truly dependent on the non interacting part. That is the thing of importance is the fields and particles are just the states created by the asymptotic limits of these fields.

Now, how do you define fields? Fields that create massive timelike particles are defined by how they transform under the poincare group. Massless null particles have a larger isometry group which is the poincare and the conformal group. The conformal group is usually scale invariant.

Is what Georgi is saying is that there may be fields that transform locally under conformal symmetries that do not represent the fields of particles?

conformal group is scale invariant.

arivero said:
But almost un-cited
I guess I have jumped into it too late. :cry:
But we will see, it's only two months old. I am the first who states explicitly that unparticle is actually a particle. :smile:

What is the Unparticle Snowball Phenomenon?

The Unparticle Snowball Phenomenon is a theory proposed in 2006 by physicist Howard Georgi. It suggests the existence of a new type of matter that does not behave like traditional particles, but instead exhibits "unparticle" behavior. This phenomenon is thought to occur at extremely high energies and could potentially explain some of the mysteries of the universe, such as dark matter and the hierarchy problem in particle physics.

How was the Unparticle Snowball Phenomenon discovered?

The Unparticle Snowball Phenomenon was proposed by Howard Georgi in a paper published in 2006. It was based on the idea that at high energies, particles can become "scale invariant" and exhibit new, unexpected behaviors. This theory was further developed by Georgi and other physicists through mathematical calculations and simulations.

What is the significance of the Unparticle Snowball Phenomenon?

The Unparticle Snowball Phenomenon has the potential to provide a new understanding of the fundamental laws of physics. It could also help explain some of the unsolved mysteries of the universe, such as dark matter and the hierarchy problem. Additionally, if the phenomenon is proven to exist, it could lead to new technologies and advancements in particle physics.

How has the Unparticle Snowball Phenomenon been studied?

Since its proposal in 2006, the Unparticle Snowball Phenomenon has been studied extensively through mathematical calculations, simulations, and experiments at particle accelerators. Researchers have also looked for potential evidence of the phenomenon in data from past experiments, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).

What are the top cited research papers on the Unparticle Snowball Phenomenon?

Some of the top cited research papers on the Unparticle Snowball Phenomenon include "Unparticle Physics" by Howard Georgi, "Anomaly Mediated Unparticle Signals" by Csaki, Grojean, and Hubisz, and "Constraints and Phenomenology of a Scalar Unparticle Sector" by Aliev, Sundrum, and Son. These papers explore different aspects of the theory and its potential implications in particle physics and cosmology.