Pressure change and area ratio help

In summary, the conversation discusses the variables and considerations in building a spud gun for maximum velocity. These include the size and ratio of the containers and the possibility of choking the valve on the tank. The mention of a C-D nozzle and choked flow suggests that achieving a supersonic airstream may not necessarily increase mass flow.
sokolomi
so if you put about 120 psi in a container and then instanly release it into another with something blocking the way, how fast would that escape, what are the variables in this

Engineering news on Phys.org
Size of the containers and size of the orifice.

do guys know any good barrel to air container ratios or anything i should know befor i go building a spud gun because i want maximum velocity out of it with like 120 psi

Unless you can make a C-D nozzle, you'll probably end up choking the valve on the tank and that will set your max velocity.

I forgot about choked flow, but in any case, a C-D nozzle still involves choked flow...(i know you know that). If he only cares about mass flow, getting a supersonic airstream doesn't actually do anything for him.

1. What is the relationship between pressure change and area ratio?

The relationship between pressure change and area ratio is described by the Bernoulli's principle, which states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure exerted by the fluid decreases. This means that when the area ratio increases, the fluid velocity also increases, resulting in a decrease in pressure.

2. How does area ratio affect pressure change?

The area ratio directly affects pressure change, as described by the Bernoulli's principle. When the area ratio increases, the fluid velocity increases, resulting in a decrease in pressure. Similarly, when the area ratio decreases, the fluid velocity decreases, resulting in an increase in pressure.

3. Why is pressure change important in fluid dynamics?

Pressure change is important in fluid dynamics because it affects the flow of fluids and their behavior. Understanding pressure change can help in predicting the movement and behavior of fluids, which is essential in many fields such as aerodynamics, hydraulics, and weather forecasting.

4. How can area ratio be calculated?

Area ratio can be calculated by dividing the larger area by the smaller area. For example, if the larger area is 10 square meters and the smaller area is 5 square meters, the area ratio would be 10/5 = 2.

5. Can pressure change and area ratio be used to measure fluid flow?

Yes, pressure change and area ratio can be used to measure fluid flow. By measuring the pressure change and the corresponding area ratio, the velocity of the fluid can be calculated using Bernoulli's principle. This can then be used to determine the rate of flow of the fluid.