Limits involving the constant 'e'.

In summary, the limit of the function involving Euler's number is infinity as x approaches positive infinity and 0 as x approaches negative infinity. This leads to a horizontal asymptote at y=0.
Morphayne
Hi. I'm confused about calculating the limit of a function involving Euler's number. I need to know the proper way to find the limit so I can determine the equation of the horizontal asymptote of the function. I do know, in my head what the graph looks like so I know that there is a horizontal asymptote is y=0. I just have to show my work, that's where I'm stuck.

Here is the problem:

lim(x->infinity)(2e^x)

My attempt:

lim(x->infinity)(2e^x) = lim(x->infinity)(2/e^-x)

=lim(x->infinity)(2/e^-infinity)

=lim(x->infinity)(2/0)

=0 Therefore: y=0

I'm not sure if I'm doing the problem the right way. If I did somehow get it right, can someone please give me a brief description on the proper method?

Thanks In Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the lim(2*e^x) = infinity? As x approaches infinity, so does e^x. You don't even really need those last couple steps, because lim(2e^x) = 2e^(infinity) = infinity.

Morphayne,

2/0 doesn't equal 0, it's "equal" to infinity, but in reality it's undefined.

Your original limit is equal to infinity for the reason that steelphantom mentioned.

Well, the answer in the textbook is says that there is a horizontal asymptote at y=0 which means that this limit somehow equals zero...

Help please!

As has been said previously,

[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}2e^{x} = \infty[/tex]

However,

[tex]\lim_{x\to-\infty}2e^{x} = 0[/tex]

Hence the horizontal asymptote.

Last edited:

1. What is the value of the constant 'e'?

The value of 'e' is approximately 2.71828.

2. How is 'e' related to limits?

'e' is the base of the natural logarithm and is often used in limits involving exponential functions.

3. How do I solve limits involving 'e'?

To solve limits involving 'e', you can use the properties of logarithms and the rules of limits to simplify the expression and then plug in the value of 'e' to evaluate the limit.

4. Can 'e' be used in limits involving trigonometric functions?

Yes, 'e' can be used in limits involving trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. It is often used in the definition of the natural exponential and trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any special properties of 'e' that are helpful in solving limits?

Yes, one special property of 'e' is that the derivative of 'e^x' is equal to 'e^x'. This can be helpful in solving limits involving exponential functions.