Finding the Volume of a Region Bounded by Two Planes in the First Octant

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a region bounded by the first octant and two intersecting planes. The lower bound is determined to be at x, y, z = 0 and the point of intersection is found to be y=5x. The speaker is seeking guidance in finding the volume under the plane.
Brad_Ad23
It has been a long while since I've done any multiple integral stuff and I must say this question posed to me has me stumped, even though I suspect it is trivial.

1. Find the volume of the of the region bounded by the first octant and x+z=3 and y+5z=15

I figure since it is in the first octant of 3D Euclidean coordinate system the lower bound should involve at some point x,y,z = 0, and I think I also need to get the point of intersection of the two planes, which I came up with as y = 5x which I have no idea if it is helpful or not. So some guidance would be appreciated if possible!

Physics news on Phys.org
Get the plane equation, and you would see that you are finding volume under that plane.

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/1989/96274221xa5.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The plane rootX is talking about is the one containing the lines x+ z= 3 with y=0, y+ 5z= 15 with x= 0, and 5x+ y= 15 with z= 0.

1. What is a multiple integral?

A multiple integral is an integral with more than one variable. It is used to calculate the volume, surface area, or other properties of a three-dimensional shape by integrating a function over multiple variables.

2. How is a multiple integral different from a single integral?

A single integral has one variable, while a multiple integral has more than one variable. This means that a multiple integral represents a higher-dimensional shape or volume, compared to a single integral which represents a one-dimensional shape or length.

3. What is the process for solving a multiple integral?

The process for solving a multiple integral involves determining the limits of integration for each variable, setting up the integral in the correct form, and then integrating the function with respect to each variable in the correct order.

4. What is the purpose of using multiple integrals in science?

Multiple integrals are used in science to calculate the volume, surface area, or other properties of three-dimensional shapes, as well as to solve problems involving multiple variables or dimensions. They are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model and analyze complex systems.

5. What are some real-life applications of multiple integrals?

Multiple integrals have many real-life applications, such as calculating the mass and center of mass of an object, determining the probability of events in statistics, and finding the electric field or gravitational force in physics. They are also used in economics, biology, and other fields to model and analyze complex systems.