Why Magnesium isn't Used Much for Engine Castings

In summary, magnesium is not commonly used in engine castings because it is less strong than other metals, is flammable, and is not easily machined.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Why is magnesium not used much for engine castings? the old air cooled VW engines were light enough (bare) to be easily lifted by one person surely there is a big power to weigh ratio to be gained.
If i remember correctly added copper reduced corrosion to after market castings.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Cost, generally. A few of the German OEMs have started playing with it again recently, I think the new BMW I6 engines have a magnesium alloy block (albeit with an aluminium alloy cylinder liner).

Magnesium is flammable. I'm not sure if engine temperatures would be high enough for ignition, but it is definitely something to consider.

A friend of mine had his engine catch fire in a parking lot. No way you can extinguish them once they get started. Also no way Gary is ever buying another engine with a magnesium block.

Magnesium is flammable but so is aluminium (ever heard of thermite?) Mg is 30% lighter than Al and 75% ligther than steel.
You can put out a Mg fire - you just need the right sort of extinguisher (the same dry powder you need for Al), however if a fire is hot enough to burn an engine block you are generally better off just standing back and watching from a safe distance.
Its generally failry safe in big blocks - it's very scary to machine though!
I visited a contractor machining Mg gearboxes for Apache helicopters, you have to high speed machine parts without letting any chips touch air!
You use a lot of coolant and they are very careul about sweeping the swarf.

Generally it isn't used much becase the weight of cars hasn't mattered much, there's no point in saving 50Kg off the weight of the engine block if you put it in a 3000kg SUV.

Isn't Magnesium also not very malleable? Wouldn't it give some issues with temperature gradients and cracking under high stress operation?

If you have the right alloy it can be worked pretty much the same as Aluminium.
Not sure I would want to weld it though ;-)

Welding magnesium just requires ensuring that a shielding gas surrounds the piece being welded with a short period of gas flow after the weld is completed.

mender said:
Welding magnesium just requires ensuring that a shielding gas surrounds the piece being welded with a short period of gas flow after the weld is completed.

In general yes - the danger is that sparks from an arc welding robot landing on the car.

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/2139/PreviewComp/SuperStock_2139-559043.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why is magnesium not commonly used for engine castings?

Magnesium is not commonly used for engine castings because it has a lower melting point and is less dense than other metals commonly used for engine parts, such as aluminum and steel. This makes it less suitable for withstanding the high temperatures and pressures found in engines.

2. Is magnesium not strong enough for engine castings?

Magnesium is actually a strong and lightweight metal, but it has a lower strength-to-weight ratio compared to other metals used for engine parts. This means that it would need to be used in larger quantities to achieve the same strength as other metals, making it less cost-effective.

3. Can magnesium corrode in engine environments?

Yes, magnesium is highly reactive and can corrode in the presence of moisture and oxygen. This can lead to structural integrity issues and potential failure of engine parts. For this reason, it is not commonly used for engine castings.

4. Are there any benefits to using magnesium for engine castings?

There are some benefits to using magnesium for engine castings, such as its lightweight and high thermal conductivity properties. However, these benefits are often outweighed by the potential drawbacks, such as corrosion and lower strength compared to other metals.

5. Can magnesium be used for any parts in an engine?

While magnesium is not commonly used for engine castings, it can be used for certain parts that do not require high strength or must withstand high temperatures and pressures. These include components such as valve covers, oil pans, and transmission cases.