Only in highschool (PROGRAMMING)

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's decision to take a work experience class with a software company that has offered them opportunities for the future. However, the speaker has concerns about the company's involvement in tracking criminals and their expectations for the speaker to make contributions to their software for free. Despite having other positive options, the speaker is still drawn to this company. The conversation ends with a question for advice on whether the speaker should take the opportunity or not.
jgg
This semester I decided to finish off high school with a work experience class, in lieu of another AP class (by that I mean there were none left to take, except virtual classes). I started making calls, and long story short a large software company (which I will not name) took a look at my scores and skills and decided that I would not only qualify for work experience, but that more "opportunities" could open up in the future (apparently all it takes to impress people towards the point of liking you is a flashy piece of paper with nice test scores on it...pathetic).

Sound great, but there are two problems I have with this company:

1. A lot of the software made by this company goes into tracking criminals, evidence, soldiers, weapons, etc. Call me an idealist, but this bothers me. You know how people will sometimes call certain places a 'database state'? This company is one of those groups fostering that exact idea. Yikes.

2. The second, and most daunting reason came in a recent phone conversation before setting up my first meeting with them. They basically told me that to continue impressing them, I would not only have to learn quite a bit, but would have to make contributions to their software. I'm afraid this is going to digress into a situation where I'll end up being free labor that they can treat like ****, always promising me that great 'paid-position' during the summer. They use ASP, VBscript, Java, .Net and MS SQL 2000/2005, which oddly are all languages I have avoided learning (except for Java...just haven't had time on for that one). Granted, I know languages similar to those, but I wonder if this will be enough.

Note that I have probably a dozen other contacts for this, and there are four in particular that all look just as positive, and one has made mention of a paid position. I'm not sure why I'm drawn to this company so much. Maybe it's just hype.

Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can I be slightly amused that you'd be at all surprised that they would want you to make contributions to their software? They're not a charity, you know...

Anyway, if you think that you'd learn a lot and don't feel *too* bad about assisting the slide into totalitarianism, sure, go volunteer. If they get too demanding and obnoxious, you can always leave... even more easily if they aren't even paying you!

I can understand your concerns about working for a company that develops software for tracking criminals and weapons. It is important to consider the ethical implications of the work you will be doing and whether it aligns with your personal values and beliefs.

It is also understandable to be wary of a company that may take advantage of your skills and talents without properly compensating you. It is important to set boundaries and make sure that you are being treated fairly and with respect in any work environment.

My advice would be to carefully consider all of your options and weigh the pros and cons of each opportunity. It is also important to communicate your concerns and expectations with the company before committing to any work experience or internship. If you do decide to pursue this opportunity, make sure to set clear boundaries and stand up for yourself if you feel that you are being taken advantage of.

Ultimately, it is up to you to decide what is best for your education and future career goals. Just remember to always prioritize your values and well-being in any decision you make.

What is "Only in highschool (PROGRAMMING)"?

"Only in highschool (PROGRAMMING)" is a program or course that teaches high school students various computer programming languages, tools, and techniques.

Why is "Only in highschool (PROGRAMMING)" important?

"Only in highschool (PROGRAMMING)" is important because it introduces high school students to the world of computer science and programming, which is becoming increasingly essential in our modern society. It also helps students develop problem-solving, critical thinking, and logical reasoning skills.

Who can participate in "Only in highschool (PROGRAMMING)"?

"Only in highschool (PROGRAMMING)" is typically open to high school students of all levels, including freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Some programs may have specific requirements or prerequisites, but many are open to all interested students.

What programming languages are typically taught in "Only in highschool (PROGRAMMING)"?

The programming languages taught in "Only in highschool (PROGRAMMING)" may vary depending on the program or course. However, some common languages include Java, Python, C++, and HTML/CSS.

Are there any benefits to learning programming in high school?

Yes, there are many benefits to learning programming in high school. It can open up career opportunities in the rapidly growing field of technology, help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and provide a foundation for understanding and using technology in everyday life.