Ïnverse functions and composition

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for the composition of two functions to be commutative in respect to inversion. It is found that for this to hold true, one of the functions must be an involution. The conversation then delves into the search for other existing involutions of real functions.
mnb96
Hi,
given two functions f and g, is there any known condition under which the following is valid:

[tex](f \circ g^{-1}) = (f^{-1} \circ g)[/tex]

Basically I have to find out the requirements for [tex]f[/tex] and [tex]g[/tex] for which composition is commutative in respect to inversion.

Physics news on Phys.org
attempt to a solution

I probably did a step forward but I'm still stuck.
We know that: [tex](f \circ g)^{-1}=(g^{-1} \circ f^{-1})[/tex].

This obviously implies that the following must be true:
[tex](f \circ g^{-1})=(f \circ g^{-1})^{-1}=(g \circ f^{-1})[/tex]

If consider only the body in the parentheses [tex]h = f \circ g[/tex], we have the condition:

[tex]h = h^{-1}[/tex]

OK! Now, what is the family of functions that fulfills the property [tex]f = f^{-1}[/tex]?
I already found [tex]f(x)=a-x[/tex] and [tex]f(x)=a/x[/tex]
Are there others?

Last edited:
I just found out that a function such that [tex]f=f^{-1}[/tex] is called involution.
I also sketched out a proof which proves that the composition of two involutions is not an involution.

This would partly answer my question, implying that in order to satisfy [tex](f \circ g^{-1}) = (f^{-1} \circ g)[/tex] only one of the two function can be an involution; but still nothing useful is known about the nature of f and g

And still, what remains unanswered is: are [tex]f(x)=a-x[/tex] and [tex]f(x)=\frac{a}{x}[/tex] the only existing involutions for real functions?

Last edited:
Last edited:

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that "undoes" another function. It is essentially the reverse operation of a given function. For example, if f(x) = 2x, the inverse function would be f^-1(x) = x/2.

2. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you can use the following steps:

• Replace the function notation f(x) with y.
  • Swap the x and y variables.
  • Solve for y.
  • Replace y with f^-1(x) to get the inverse function.

3. What is the domain and range of an inverse function?

The domain of an inverse function is the range of the original function, and vice versa. In other words, the input values of the original function become the output values of the inverse function, and vice versa. However, it is important to note that not all functions have inverse functions.

4. What is the composition of functions?

Composition of functions is the process of combining two or more functions to form a new function. This is done by taking the output of one function and using it as the input for another function. For example, if f(x) = 2x and g(x) = x+3, then the composition of f and g would be (f◦g)(x) = f(g(x)) = 2(x+3) = 2x+6.

5. How do you find the composition of functions?

To find the composition of functions, follow these steps:

• Write out the two functions, f(x) and g(x).
  • Substitute the inner function (g(x)) into the outer function (f(x)).
  • Simplify the resulting expression to get the composition of functions.