Parts of an 'information' in phyiscs.

In summary, physical values can be broken down into three parts: orientation, position, and direction. Orientation refers to the angle that an object makes with the axis of the Cartesian coordinate system and is not affected by transformations. Position is the translational aspect, representing the exact points from which an object can be defined. Direction refers to the line drawn to represent the physical value, with only two possible values since orientation and position have already been defined. Scalars and vectors are ways to define physical values, with at least six elements required for an accurate representation. Orientation and direction can be seen as the same thing, and quaternions are recommended for representing orientation.
dE_logics
From what I think, any physical value has at most 3 parts -

1)Orientation - Or more explicitly, the angle that it makes with axis of the Cartesian coordinate system. Transforming will not change this value.

2) Position - This is the translational stuff...exactly from which point to which point.

3)Direction, after defining orientation and position, the line drawn (representing the physical value) should also have a direction at which it points. Since the orientation and position has been defined, there are only 2 values for this.

I don't think the position is specific, but however, if I'm right then what does a scalar and vector define?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is false.
1) A physical value may change under transformations nothing wrong with that
2) It is your choice how many scalar values you group and consider them to be your "physical value"
3) There are special values that are invariant under certain physical symmetries, others change as a non trivial representation of the symmetry group maybe you mean these classes of physical values.
4) For the most common symmetry they are called tensors, and you can get them with almost any number of scalar values if you look at continuum mechanics, you get the stress tensor with nine scalars, in relativistic electrodynamics you get one with 16 scalars and in multipole analysis you get tensors as large as you want.

I've no idea what is a tensor...nor I've ready anything about symmetry.

2) It is your choice how many scalar values you group and consider them to be your "physical value"

Grouping scalar values?? :grumpy:

dE_logics said:
From what I think, any physical value has at most 3 parts -

1)Orientation - Or more explicitly, the angle that it makes with axis of the Cartesian coordinate system. Transforming will not change this value.

2) Position - This is the translational stuff...exactly from which point to which point.

3)Direction, after defining orientation and position, the line drawn (representing the physical value) should also have a direction at which it points. Since the orientation and position has been defined, there are only 2 values for this.

I don't think the position is specific, but however, if I'm right then what does a scalar and vector define?

If you are talking about a physical entity in space, you are almost correct. Orientation and direction can be seen as the same thing. Essentially the orientation refers to how something is "pointing" and in which direction. One way we can calculate orientation is to use an axis-angle formation. Another way is to use Euler angles. Another way is to use a quaternion. All ways are equivalent to representing orientations.

When we talk about orientation we have to take into account the dimension of time. In einsteins theory of relativity we have an extra dimension for time. Now we must note that this is relative and in this way there is no real accepted global definition of time. If we however integrate quantum mechanics into the structure space-time we can come up with a globalized picture of time however I won't get into this.

For simple purposes let's assume that we have the concept of absolute time as Newton noted. This approximates reality and its good enough for things at low speeds.

In this model we can represent orientation with one of the things I mentioned above. Either
* A Quaternion, or
* Euler Angles, or
* Axis-Angle formation with rotation angle

will suffice. I recommend learning quaternions when thinking about orientation as they have some very nice properties akin to matrix algebra. Ken Shoemake wrote a good book on quaternions in computer simulation and this sort of thing applies to describing orientations in the real world. You can also read Hamiltons original treatise on quaternions which I highly recommend (and its free! Search for Treatise Quaternion Hamilton on google)

Position is just a vector in some space. We have different types of spaces like for example cylindrical, spherical, cartesian, and others that are defined with a vector with the number of dimensions (in this case 3 in our Newtonian universe).

Now the best way to think of this is to think that we want to have a global spatial structure. Let's use the cartesian structure of space (ie orthogonal axis each 90 degrees
of relative angular measure apart) as the structure in which all space will act. We can convert between the different spaces using an appropriate transform.

The first definition is the typical definition of orientation. For example we can have a three dimensional object that is in three dimensional space. The first two angles give the direction that the object is facing. The third angle gives an angle that rotates about this axis (Hence the reference to angle-axis).

We can view this in two ways. First take a camera point it in a direction and then rotate it
about that axis in so many radians and you get the "orientation" of that camera. We can also
do the same thing to a plane and we get the same sort of result.

To represent the orientation and position we require a minimum of six elements (three angles and a position vector of three elements in a Newtonian universe). This will represent any objects direction, orientation, and position accurately.

A scalar is just a one dimensional vector. A vector is a generalized concept in that the vector generalizes the number of dimensions in some given space. There is a whole theory to vectors, vector spaces, and the appropriate laws of algebra for vectors and systems of vectors but that is beyond this post (I don't have time to explain it). I recommend you read a book about trigonometry to understand the basic ideas for cartesian spaces and read a thorough book on algebra (not something that just places the identities there but something that derives the identities) to have a good grasp of why the algebra works the way it works.

I wish you all the best.

If you are talking about a physical entity in space, you are almost correct.

No, not a physical entity; a quantity represented in the Cartesian coordinate system...not location of an 'object'.

Orientation and direction can be seen as the same thing. Essentially the orientation refers to how something is "pointing" and in which direction.

I think there's a difference between the 2...for instance take an example of a line segment (representing some physical quantity) parallel to one of the axis...now you know the orientation, but the direction to which the line is pointing to is still unknown, and it can be only 2 values.

Thanks for the books.

The third angle gives an angle that rotates about this axis (Hence the reference to angle-axis).

aaaaa...I sort of don't see that, however need to be discussed later.

A scalar is just a one dimensional vector.

But a scalar can be represented in 3-d space.

But if orientation does define the direction, then...I'm ok with it...but I'm having problems with that...so can't conclude.

Yeah, I was referring books, but I couldn't get the answers answer...so I had to ask.

I always refer books first before posting.

C'mon!...I need to do vectors!

Someone pls?

Are you all not getting the question?

No answers yet :(

I suspect, because no one can make sense out of what you are saying here! What does talking about "physical values" have to do with "I need to do vectors"? What are you asking?

That means we require a diagrammatic explanation of this.

What is information in physics?

In physics, information refers to the knowledge or data that can be used to describe the properties, behavior, or state of a physical system.

What are the different types of information in physics?

There are three main types of information in physics: classical information, quantum information, and thermodynamic information. Classical information is based on classical mechanics and can be represented by binary digits (0s and 1s). Quantum information is based on quantum mechanics and can be represented by quantum bits (qubits). Thermodynamic information is related to the physical laws of thermodynamics and is used to describe the energy and entropy of a system.

What are the basic components of information in physics?

The basic components of information in physics include data, measurements, and units. Data is the raw information gathered from observations or experiments. Measurements are the values obtained from data using a specific unit of measurement. Units are used to express the magnitude of a physical quantity and are necessary for understanding and communicating information in physics.

How is information used in physics?

Information is used in physics to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. It is also used to develop theories and models that can explain the natural world. In addition, information is used to design experiments and make measurements to test hypotheses and validate theories.

What is the relationship between information and entropy in physics?

In physics, entropy is a measure of the amount of disorder or randomness in a system. Information and entropy are closely related, as information can be seen as a measure of the organization or order within a system. As the amount of information in a system increases, the entropy decreases, and vice versa.