Referencing to google books in article

In summary: That's for a class assignment, and maybe the objective of the exercise was to get you into the library.
Shukie
If I want to refer to a book that I read on google books, should I reference to the book itself or to the internet page?

Physics news on Phys.org
The book I believe. This is because I think you are "reading" to book, not the web page, I could be wrong, though.

The book as if it was in your hand.

Would you reference the library you got a book from?

Never ever link to a website.

The reason why this isn't allowed is because if the information is taken down, the reader can't find your referenced material.

Always reference the actual book/Journal it came from, even if its online.

I want to refer to a book from 1827 though, which I doubt you will find anywhere, so Civilized's solution seems pretty good.

Cyrus said:
Never ever link to a website.

The reason why this isn't allowed is because if the information is taken down, the reader can't find your referenced material.
You can cite a website, but the way to do it is to include the name of the webpage, the URL, and the date you accessed the site (because you're citing it as you viewed it on that day). If you're going to cite a webpage, I strongly recommend printing a hardcopy (or saving a copy as a PDF), that way you have the material as it appeared when you cited it in case the content changes and someone wants to see your source.

Always reference the actual book/Journal it came from, even if its online.
Yes, if it's not a webpage, but an electronic version of a book or journal, you cite it the same as if you had the hardcopy, bound version in front of you. If it's ONLY available online, then you may need to modify the citation slightly, such as if there are no page numbers, and instead write something like "Online" in that place.

Moonbear said:
You can cite a website, but the way to do it is to include the name of the webpage, the URL, and the date you accessed the site (because you're citing it as you viewed it on that day). If you're going to cite a webpage, I strongly recommend printing a hardcopy (or saving a copy as a PDF), that way you have the material as it appeared when you cited it in case the content changes and someone wants to see your source.

Yes, if it's not a webpage, but an electronic version of a book or journal, you cite it the same as if you had the hardcopy, bound version in front of you. If it's ONLY available online, then you may need to modify the citation slightly, such as if there are no page numbers, and instead write something like "Online" in that place.

It depends on who your are giving your paper to. My one professor would not accept *any* online sources - what so ever.

I don't see why he wouldn't. If you're careful enough you can find lots of trustworthy information on the web. I do almost always use websites from universities though, if I use internet sources. Those are fairly reliable and my professors accept them.

One should reference the original source: book, article, . . . . Google books provides a reproduction.

Cyrus said:
It depends on who your are giving your paper to. My one professor would not accept *any* online sources - what so ever.

That's for a class assignment, and maybe the objective of the exercise was to get you into the library. The question here didn't specify it was for a class assignment, or that any such restrictions were put in place if it were. Just because you have one professor that doesn't allow you to use online sources doesn't mean there is never a reason to cite them nor an appropriate format to do it.

1. How do I reference a book from Google Books in my article?

To reference a book from Google Books in your article, you will need to include the following information: author's last name, author's first name, book title, publisher, year of publication, and the URL of the specific book on Google Books. This information should be formatted according to the citation style of your article, such as MLA or APA.

2. Can I use Google Books as a source for my article?

Yes, you can use Google Books as a source for your article. However, it is important to verify the credibility and accuracy of the information provided in the book before using it as a source. You should also check with your professor or editor to ensure that they accept Google Books as a valid source.

3. How do I cite a specific page from a book on Google Books?

To cite a specific page from a book on Google Books, you will need to include the page number in your in-text citation. For example: (Smith, 2015, p. 25). You should also include the page number in the corresponding reference list entry.

4. What if the book on Google Books does not have an author listed?

If the book on Google Books does not have a listed author, you can use the name of the organization or company that published the book as the author in your citation. If no organization is listed, you can use the book title in place of the author's name.

5. Do I need to include the date accessed when referencing a book from Google Books?

No, the date accessed is not necessary when referencing a book from Google Books. Instead, you should include the year of publication for the specific edition of the book that you are referencing. The URL of the book on Google Books should also be included in the citation.