What is the Meaning of 'Conceptual' in Foundations of Mathematics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the first paragraph of a text on foundations of mathematics. The three radical words mentioned in the first paragraph are conceptual, contextual, and hierarchical. The word "conceptual" is defined as being based on ideas. The text is described as being part of philosophy of mathematics, not the foundation of mathematics itself. It is suggested to start with subjects like mathematical logic and axiomatic set theory when studying foundations of mathematics. The conversation also touches on the idea of whether philosophy or mathematics is more fundamental.
wajed
I`ve started to read on FOM, and unfortunately I found the first paragraph cumbersome to get.

Here is the text I started with: http://www.math.psu.edu/simpson/hierarchy.html

The first paragraph was:
"1. All human knowledge is conceptual and forms an integrated whole. All human knowledge is contextual and hierarchical."

The three radical words are: conceptual, contextual, and hierarchical.I understand what "hierarchical" means. I`m going to get back to "contextual" later.

Now what I`d like to understand is the word "conceptual", so can I get help here?

I did some researching about "conceptual", and one good website was: http://www.education.com/reference/article/distinction-conceptual-procedural-math/
But no single website gave a precise definition of what "conceptual" means.. which makes me scratch my head really hard trying to understand based on what did the author of the FOM text use the word "All" at the beginning of the text, and what was he thinking of when he used the word "conceptual".

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
That essay is itself part of the philosophy of mathematics, not the foundation of mathematics. It is the author's explanation of the role and definition of "foundations of mathematics", and thus as I said the essay itself really belongs to philosophy of mathematics.

If you are interested in the foundations of mathematics, then you would be pointed towards mathematical logic and axiomatic set theory and/or category theory. These subjects are extremely rigorous and would never contain such a vague statement as:

"1. All human knowledge is conceptual and forms an integrated whole. All human knowledge is contextual and hierarchical."

except perhaps in the preface, or in the end of chapter notes /motivational material. Such a statement lies clearly in the domain of th philosophy of mathematics, which is a sub-branch of philosophy, and so bears little resemblance to mathematics itself.

To get an idea about what FOM is all about it might be better to glance through that same author's publication list (although the library is a better place to start):

http://www.math.psu.edu/simpson/papers/

The statement about "all human knowledge..." is an attempt by a mathematician to go outside of his specialty and do philosophy, and so the most polite thing I can say is that I did not find any of the statements in that essay to be worthwhile.

wajed said:
I`ve started to read on FOM, and unfortunately I found the first paragraph cumbersome to get.

Here is the text I started with: http://www.math.psu.edu/simpson/hierarchy.html

The first paragraph was:

The three radical words are: conceptual, contextual, and hierarchical.

I understand what "hierarchical" means. I`m going to get back to "contextual" later.

Now what I`d like to understand is the word "conceptual", so can I get help here?
"Conceptual": based on concepts. What is being said here is simply that basis of all knowledge is the "concept" or "idea".

I did some researching about "conceptual", and one good website was: http://www.education.com/reference/article/distinction-conceptual-procedural-math/
But no single website gave a precise definition of what "conceptual" means.. which makes me scratch my head really hard trying to understand based on what did the author of the FOM text use the word "All" at the beginning of the text, and what was he thinking of when he used the word "conceptual".
He was saying that all knowledge is based on "ideas". Although without reading the whole thing I can't say for sure, I suspect he was thinking "as opposed to sense impressions".

Last edited by a moderator:
Civilized said:
That essay is itself part of the philosophy of mathematics... It is the author's explanation of the role and definition of "foundations of mathematics"..
... mathematical logic and axiomatic set theory and/or category theory. These subjects are extremely rigorous...

So, it seems like Philosophy of Mathematics is more fundamental than Foundation of Mathematics..
Well, the reason I started with FOM is that I wanted to start from the very core of mathematics, and I thought FOM was the most fundamental thing to start with, but since you are saying that "that essay is itself part of Philosopgy.." I think I should start with Philosophy?

He was saying that all knowledge is based on "ideas". Although without reading the whole thing I can't say for sure, I suspect he was thinking "as opposed to sense impressions".
I understand what the word "concept" itself mean; but, I thought it might be used not literally, and the first question that motivated me to come and ask here is: "how do we know that "All" knowledge is conceptual?"

What I`ve just learned from Mr.Civilized is that I don`t have to take the text very literally; and from you, sir, I understand he meant the literal meaning of "concept".

wajed said:
So, it seems like Philosophy of Mathematics is more fundamental than Foundation of Mathematics.

No, not at all. It is used to describe mathematics, but the math does not rely on it.

Now it could be argued that philosophy (or at least some branch of philosophy) is more fundamental than mathematics, but philosophy of mathematics is certainly not.

1. What is the importance of studying Foundations of Mathematics?

The Foundations of Mathematics is the study of the basic principles and concepts that serve as the building blocks for all mathematical theories and methods. It is crucial for understanding the fundamental ideas and structures of mathematics and provides a solid foundation for further study and research in the field. Moreover, it has practical applications in various fields such as science, engineering, and economics.

2. What are the main branches of Foundations of Mathematics?

The main branches of Foundations of Mathematics include logic, set theory, and model theory. Logic deals with the rules of reasoning and helps in constructing valid arguments and proofs. Set theory studies the properties and relationships of sets, which are fundamental mathematical objects. Model theory examines the structures and interpretations of mathematical theories.

3. Can you explain the concept of mathematical rigor?

Mathematical rigor refers to the level of precision and logical reasoning used in mathematical arguments. It ensures that mathematical statements are well-defined and free of any ambiguity. This is important because mathematical theories are built upon axioms and definitions, and any flaws in these foundations can lead to incorrect conclusions and invalid proofs.

4. How does Foundations of Mathematics relate to other branches of mathematics?

Foundations of Mathematics provides the theoretical framework and tools for other branches of mathematics. It helps in the development of new mathematical theories and methods, and also serves as a basis for understanding the connections between different areas of mathematics. For example, set theory is used in topology, while model theory is applied in algebra and number theory.

5. Is Foundations of Mathematics a static field of study?

No, Foundations of Mathematics is a dynamic field that is constantly evolving. As new mathematical theories and methods are developed, it is necessary to revisit and refine the foundations to ensure their consistency and completeness. Moreover, the study of Foundations of Mathematics also involves philosophical and historical aspects, which continue to be explored and debated by mathematicians and philosophers.