2 inputs to one headset control

• Thread starter noagname
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Control
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using two inputs for headphones, one being an intercom on an airplane and the other being an iPod. The idea is to use two PNP transistors to switch between the two inputs, but it is ultimately deemed unsafe and not a good idea. The conversation also touches on the lack of regulation for using non-FAA approved equipment and the recommendation to invest in approved equipment for safety purposes. The conversation ends with the decision to close the thread.
noagname
I was wondering if I had two inputs going to my headphones, one being the intercom on my airplane and the other being an ipod. Could I put two pnp transistors with collector and emitter on the ipod connections and the base connect to the intercom. So when audio comes threw the intercom the ipod sound drops.

Engineering news on Phys.org
noagname said:
I was wondering if I had two inputs going to my headphones, one being the intercom on my airplane and the other being an ipod. Could I put two pnp transistors with collector and emitter on the ipod connections and the base connect to the intercom. So when audio comes threw the intercom the ipod sound drops.

Seems safer to put the plane audio in your left ear, and the music in your right ear. Wouldn't want to miss a warning on the Guard channel just because the switch-over circuit wasn't working one day, eh?

berkeman said:
Seems safer to put the plane audio in your left ear, and the music in your right ear. Wouldn't want to miss a warning on the Guard channel just because the switch-over circuit wasn't working one day, eh?

well if I forget about the danger will the idea still work by using pnp transistors

noagname said:
well if I forget about the danger will the idea still work by using pnp transistors

You're a pilot? :uhh:

And no, I don't think the simple circuit you describe will do what you want to do. What is the standard for airplane headset channels? I would think that radio traffic already has precedence over intercom traffic... is that the way your headset works currently?

Interestinglyalthough there is an application process in place to obtain TSO approval for flight communications equipment, there is no law or regulation in effect to prohibit one from using equipment without such approval, including pilot-modified equipment.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/542619.html

Nevertheless, in the interest of safety, I recommend you look into existing FAA/TSO approved equipment which does what you want.

yes I am a pilot, and I'm not sure what you mean by channels, I'm just using the jack that I connect my headset. and before I posted I saw devices that do what I'm asking but I don't want to pay the money.

Well, if you don't feel like being safe, I don't feel like helping you.

I can't speak for anyone else here.

I think I'm just need to stop this thread. How would I do it

Happy to help. Closing the thread, I mean.

What is a "2 inputs to one headset control"?

A "2 inputs to one headset control" is a device that allows two separate audio inputs, such as a computer and a phone, to be connected to a single headset. This allows the user to switch between the two inputs without having to switch headsets or disconnect and reconnect cables.

How does a "2 inputs to one headset control" work?

The device typically has two input ports, one for each audio source, and one output port for the headset. It also has a control mechanism, such as a switch or button, that allows the user to select which input is being sent to the headset. When the control is switched, the device redirects the audio signal from one input to the output port.

What are the benefits of using a "2 inputs to one headset control"?

One of the main benefits is convenience, as it eliminates the need for multiple headsets or constantly switching cables. It also allows for multitasking and easy access to different audio sources. Additionally, it can save money by not having to purchase separate headsets for each audio source.

Can a "2 inputs to one headset control" work with any headset?

Most "2 inputs to one headset control" devices are designed to work with standard headsets that have a 3.5mm audio jack. However, it is always recommended to check the compatibility of the device with your specific headset before purchasing.

Are there any limitations to using a "2 inputs to one headset control"?

One limitation is that the device may not work with certain headsets that have specialized connectors. Additionally, the audio quality may be affected if the two inputs have different sound levels or quality. It is also important to note that the device may not support simultaneous use of both inputs, so only one audio source can be used at a time.