Limit to the strength, the hardness, and the density of a material?

In summary, the upper limit for strength in materials is determined by the strength of the molecular or atomic bond within the material. Diamond may not be the exact limit, but it is close. It is not currently possible to create a material that can withstand the pressures and temperatures found in the Earth's core. There is no real consensus on whether osmium or tungsten is the densest material, but both are among the densest 'real' materials. For higher densities, we may have to wait for the discovery of stable atoms with Z>118 or look at collapsed matter in neutron stars or white dwarfs.
Researcher X
Is there a limit to how strong a material we can create? Does yield strength have an upper bound, and how high is that upper bound above materials created today? What about hardness? Is Diamond the limit?

Could we ever make a machine that could survive the pressures and temperature found in the Earth's core?

I'm also wondering whether it's possible to create a stable material denser than Osmium? Density is distinct from strength, I know, but it's also something I've been wondering.

Physics news on Phys.org
Researcher X said:
Is there a limit to how strong a material we can create? Does yield strength have an upper bound, and how high is that upper bound above materials created today? What about hardness? Is Diamond the limit?
There is an upper limit which is the strength of the molecular or atomic bond inside the material.
Most real materials fail below this limit due to imperfections, scratches etc. It is possible to make small samples with no flaws that reach the atomic limit. I don't know if diamond is exactly the limit - but it will be something close.

Could we ever make a machine that could survive the pressures and temperature found in the Earth's core?
Not quite, carbon and tungsten melt at around 4500C, the Earth's core is a bit more than that. There is also an issue with the mechanical strength of many materials near their melting point.

I'm also wondering whether it's possible to create a stable material denser than Osmium? Density is distinct from strength, I know, but it's also something I've been wondering.
If any of the very heavy atoms Z>118 turn out to be stable, they will have a higher density. but other than temporarily producing higher densities under very high pressure, or counting collapsed matter in neutron stars or white dwarfs - no Osmium is probably the densest 'real' material.

Sounds like we're stuck with what we've got then when it comes to those properties.

mgb_phys said:
...Osmium is probably the densest 'real' material.

Or tungsten, depending upon who you ask. There is no consensus on this point.

negitron said:

Really? I though tungsten was about the same density as gold.

negitron said:

Surely you're thinking of iridium, which has a similar density to osmium? (Tungsten's density is about 10% lower and is similar to gold, as mgb_phys states.)

1. What is the limit to the strength of a material?

The limit to the strength of a material is the maximum amount of stress or force that it can withstand without breaking or deforming. This limit is often referred to as the ultimate tensile strength.

2. How is the hardness of a material determined?

The hardness of a material is determined by measuring its resistance to indentation or scratching. This is typically done using a standardized test such as the Rockwell or Vickers hardness test.

3. What factors affect the strength of a material?

The strength of a material is affected by its composition, microstructure, and processing. Different materials have different strengths due to their atomic and molecular structures, and how they are processed can also impact their strength.

4. Is there a limit to the hardness of a material?

There is no theoretical limit to the hardness of a material, as it depends on the strength of its atomic bonds. However, there are practical limitations based on the properties and composition of a material.

5. How does the density of a material affect its strength and hardness?

The density of a material can affect its strength and hardness in different ways. Generally, a higher density can indicate a stronger material, but it can also make it more brittle. On the other hand, a lower density can make a material more flexible, but it may also be weaker. The relationship between density and strength/hardness depends on the specific properties of the material.