Proposed new Sticky: ANSYS Tutorials for Beginners

In summary: The ANSYS tutorial/discussion thread has been moved to the forum's tutorials section. Thanks for participating!
CFDFEAGURU
Hello all,

I use ANSYS at work quite a bit and I know others in the forum propably do also. I mainly model thermal, stress, and combined thermal-stress interactions on all sorts of geometries. I have noticed a lot of the questions asked in here on ANSYS are very simplistic and probably deal with homework assignments more so than actual real world ANSYS models. Therefore, I am willing to start writing some simple tutorials here that illustrate the ANSYS apdl language and the beneficial use of input files. I will not write any tutorials for the ANSYS Workbench environment. I do not use that environment and beginners should not use it either. (In my opinion.)

Is anyone in favor of this?

Is anyone else in favor of contributing?

Thanks
Matt

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sure. No problem there. There are already some really good tutorial sites out there but I can help contribute as well.

Thanks Fred.

I figure that the first post of the sticky would be links to the other tutorial sites then after that we post our tutorials.

What do you model with ANSYS?

Thanks
Matt

Mostly structural/stress and modal. I occasionally do a thermal analysis but they are few and far between.

Excellent idea Matt:smile:

But it would be much more helpful to newbies if you started with a bit of theory, & then on to some tuts to elaborate the idea. You know, like start with a bit of intro to the mathematical approach, element equation formulation, element types, solver types. Just a thought:smile:

Depends on the level of theory, its either very simple or very hard.

I can dig out my notes on FEA theory, contains the basics and stuff on solver types, and matrix fomation.

I think that the theory of FEA should have a sticky or a blog all on its own. I don't want to have the readers looking through a lot of theory, which can be very complex with (perhaps) confusing indicial notation that most BS students can't follow. I say we keep it simple and straightforward.

Ok, so how does one create a sticky?

Thanks
Matt

I would have to disagree with you regarding the Workbench environment, ESPECIALLY if you're using the new version 12. While the WB environment doesn't have all of the options that APDL (the ANSYS formerly known as Classic), it does have most of them, which can be input through Command snippets.

In addition to that, geometry modification via DesignModeler can be extremely useful. Finally, at least the files inside of the WB "object" allows load and result transfer between different analyses extremely easy (no more creating surface elements and writing out CDB files).

p.s. I do typically use APDL though as I typically start with an axisymmetric model, and the visualization is better in APDL than in WB for that.

edit: Either way, good idea, I would also recommend any newb to check out the XANSYS forum, and Sheldon Imaoka's website at ansys.net

... it does have most of them, which can be input through Command snippets.

Yes, I am just not a fan of the command snippets. WB has come a long way since it was first introduced. I guess I am just old school. LOL

Thanks
Matt

A lot of people here are too. I'm fairly new to commercial FEA software, so I'm slightly more open to new things. I personally like to set everything up using an APDL input file. Then, I open a new WB project, and import my model into design modeler. From there, I export that to an APDL analysis. Its basically exactly what I did before, but now since it's in a workbench environment, I can pass the project off to someone else who can then implement analysis in their area.

I just HATED trying to line up models between different disciplines (why oh WHY must ANSYS require Y-axial for axisymmetric models?), and then trying to get boundary conditions, etc, etc.

Also, if you haven't checked it out, v12 allows for rotordynamics using nearly any element type. It used to be only pipes, which was a pain the ***, there was really no point in using it over other softwares. Now, general axisymmetric 272/273 elements with COMBIN214 elements, and you have a FAST way to get critical speeds from a complicated shaft geometry.

No, I haven't checked out the rotordynamics. I don't model rotating equipment. However, I will keep it in mind for the critical speed calculations. Thanks.

So how do we go about posting a sticky?

Thanks
Matt

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to create a "sticky"?

Thanks
Matt

I guess sending a PM to a Mod(astronuc or russ maybe) should do it. If that doesn't work, Greg can do it(he is the boss i believe).

CFDFEAGURU said:
Can anyone point me in the direction of how to create a "sticky"?

Thanks
Matt
Start an ANSYS tutorial and we'll sticky it.

An ANSYS tutorial/discussion thread sounds good to me.

I can also move this thread to Feedback to avoid confusion with the ANSYS tutorial thread.

Matt,
What have you covered so far for the sticky? I would not want to cover something that you already have.

Fred,

Nothing yet, now that I know how to proceed, I was going to start with some simple 2D static structural simulations.

Thanks
Matt

I can share my trials and tribulations with the fantastically documented (ha!) Rotordynamic analysis.

minger,

Sounds great. I think even us more experienced users are going to learn a lot doing this sticky.

Thanks
Matt

Hello again,

I haven't let this die out. I have been over run at work these past few months and haven't had much time to be on the forum.

I will have ANSYS 12.1 up and running this week and I now have the time to do these tutorials.

Thanks
Matt

You're going to love the new Workbench project schematic.

hey, can anyone pls link me to a good ANSYS tutorial webpage...preferably with videos
m in my final year of Mechanical Engineering...could help me a lot...

I don't know of any websites that post ANSYS tutorials. What ANSYS interface would you be using? Workbench or traditional? The only true way to learn ANSYS is to not watch tutorials but get in an get dirty.

What book are you using for you FEA class?

Thanks
Matt

hm.. i completed my course in FEA hav used M. J. Fagan
will check out the sites n post back :)
cheers.

I`m a newie in ANSYS. I'm interested in the tutorial.The mean problem that I meet in some tutorials is the step to step. (I don't speak english and may be I have some problem to explain me)
I can follow some tutorials but i don't know why I choose one or other options.
I prefer that introduce me a problem with all data that I need. I will try to solve, and I ask the differente betwen my solution and the correct solution.

For example, I never know what kind of element use for a problem.

thanks
I am eaging for the tutorial.

1. What is ANSYS and why is it important for beginners to learn?

ANSYS is a commercial software package used for engineering simulation and analysis. It is important for beginners to learn because it is widely used in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing, and it can help in solving real-world engineering problems.

2. What type of tutorials can beginners expect to find in the proposed new Sticky?

The proposed new Sticky will include tutorials for basic concepts and tools in ANSYS, such as geometry creation, meshing, and running simulations. It will also cover more advanced topics like optimization and multiphysics simulations.

3. Is ANSYS suitable for all types of simulations?

No, ANSYS is primarily used for structural and fluid simulations. It is not suitable for simulations involving electromagnetic fields or complex thermal analysis.

4. Do I need prior knowledge of engineering or simulation to understand the ANSYS tutorials?

It is helpful to have some basic knowledge of engineering principles and simulation methods, but the tutorials will also cover the fundamentals of ANSYS for beginners. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of the software before attempting more advanced tutorials.

5. Will the tutorials provide step-by-step instructions for using ANSYS?

Yes, the tutorials will provide step-by-step instructions with screenshots and explanations to guide beginners in using ANSYS. There will also be exercises and examples for practice to help solidify the concepts learned.