First Order Homogeneous Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving the substitution of y = xv and dy = dxv + dvx in order to solve the equation (4y4-9x2y2-144)dx - (5xy3)dy = 0. The solution involves deriving both sides and solving for x, with the mistake being made in the final calculation.
mattbonner

Homework Statement

(4y4-9x2y2-144)dx - (5xy3)dy = 0

Homework Equations

substitute y = xv
dy = dx v + dv x

The Attempt at a Solution

after substituting i got

(4x4v4-9v2x4-14x4)dx - (5v3x4)dx.v + dv.x

= (4v4-9v2-14)dx - 5v3(dx.v + dv.x) = 0
= dx(4v4-9v2-14-5v4)+dv(-5v3x)= 0
dx/x = (-5v3dv)/(v4-9v2-14)

dx/x = ((2v)/(v2+2) - (7v)/(v2+7)) dv

derive both sides

ln(x) = ln(v2+2) - 3.5ln(v2+7)
x + c = (v2+2) / (v2+7)3.5

c = (((y/x)2+2) / ((y/x)2+7)3.5) - x

what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What reason do you have for thinking you are doing anything wrong?

webworks (the online assignment thing my school uses) is telling me my answer is incorrect

nvm i know where the mistake was made

Last edited:

1. What is a first order homogeneous equation?

A first order homogeneous equation is a type of differential equation where the dependent variable and its derivatives are only present in a single term and are of the same degree. It is also called a linear homogeneous equation.

2. How do you solve a first order homogeneous equation?

To solve a first order homogeneous equation, you can use the method of separation of variables. This involves separating the equation into two parts, one with the dependent variable and its derivatives and the other with the independent variable. Then, you can integrate both parts and solve for the constant of integration to get the general solution.

3. What is the role of initial conditions in solving a first order homogeneous equation?

Initial conditions are essential in solving a first order homogeneous equation because they help determine the value of the constant of integration. These conditions are given as specific values of the dependent and independent variables at a particular point, which is usually the starting point of the solution.

4. Can a first order homogeneous equation have non-constant coefficients?

Yes, a first order homogeneous equation can have non-constant coefficients. These equations are called non-autonomous or variable coefficient equations. The method for solving them is similar to that of constant coefficient equations, but the solution may be more complex.

5. What are some real-life applications of first order homogeneous equations?

First order homogeneous equations are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model various real-life phenomena. Some examples include population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. These equations are also used in circuit analysis to describe the behavior of electric circuits.