Need help on integration question i found on net

In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding the use of substitution and the steps to solve it. One person suggests using tanh instead of sin, while the other person suggests using a quicker method involving partial fractions. The final solution involves using tanh and finding the inverse hyperbolic tangent.
Keval
Question is in orange, answer is in black.
2hhen4i.png

I got no idea how they got this answer :\

The way I am trying is using a substition of [itex]kx^2 = gsin\theta[/itex]

Just the one question i can't get my head aroung in this exercise step by step method would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Keval! :smile:

Not sin, but tanh … try substituting x√(k/g) = tanhu :wink:

With denominator instead k x^2 + g you get an arctan answer, right? Use the same steps on this one and get an atanh answer.

someone check this out for me ??

[itex]-\frac{1}{k} \int \frac{dx}{x^2-\frac{g}{k}}[/itex]

to simplify i let[itex]\frac{g}{k}=m^2[/itex] to get

[itex]-\frac{1}{k}\int \frac{dx}{x^2-m^2}=-\frac{1}{k}\int \frac{dx}{(x-m)(x+m)}[/itex]

Using partial fractions i got
[itex]\int \frac{dx}{x^2-m^2}=\int \frac{\frac{1}{2m}}{x-m}dx+\frac{-\frac{1}{2m}}{x+m}dx=[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2m}\ln|x-m|-\frac{1}{2m}\ln|x+m|=\frac{1}{2m}\ln \left| \frac{x-m}{x+m}\right|=[/itex]

[itex]-\frac{1}{m}\cdot \frac{1}{2}\ln \left|\frac{x+m}{x-m} \right|=-\frac{1}{m}\tanh^{-1}\left( \frac{x}{m}\right)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{km}\tanh^{-1}\left( \frac{x}{m}\right)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{gk}}\tanh^{-1}\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{g}}x \right)[/itex]

Hi Keval! :wink:

Yes, your partial fractions method is fine. :smile:

But it would be far quicker to start "let x√(k/g) = tanhu, dx√(k/g) = sech2u du" …

try it! :smile:

1. What is integration in mathematics?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to calculate the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. Why is integration important?

Integration is important because it allows us to find the exact value of a function over a given interval, which is useful in many real-world applications. It is also an essential tool in higher level mathematics and physics.

3. How do you solve an integration question?

To solve an integration question, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. You also need to be familiar with integration rules and properties.

4. What are the different types of integrals?

There are two main types of integrals: definite and indefinite. Definite integrals have specific limits of integration and give a single numerical value as a result. Indefinite integrals have no limits and give a general function as a result.

5. How can I improve my integration skills?

To improve your integration skills, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different integration techniques and rules. You can also seek help from textbooks, online resources, and tutors. Additionally, understanding the applications of integration in real-world problems can also help improve your skills.