How Do I Complete the Square and Simplify This Equation?

• Thread starter gerv13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving the equation (\frac{n + \frac{1}{c}}{\frac{s}{n} }) [\mu^2 - 2\mu(\frac{n \overline{y}}{n+\frac{1}{c}})], where the goal is to show p(t|y) \propto (1 + \frac{n + 1/c}{\frac{s}{n} + \frac{\overline{y^2}(1/c)}{n + 1/c}})(\mu - \frac{n\overline{y}}{n + 1/c})^2. The conversation includes steps taken to complete the square and expand the equation, but there
gerv13
Hi, I'm almost at the end of a question but i seem to be stuck. I have the answer though.. so I am up to here so can someone please help me complete this:

[tex] (\frac{n + \frac{1}{c}}{\frac{s}{n} }) [\mu^2 - 2\mu(\frac{n \overline{y}}{n+\frac{1}{c}})] [/tex]
then i completed the square:
[tex](\frac{n + \frac{1}{c}}{\frac{s}{n} }) [(\mu - \frac{n\overline{y}}{n + \frac{1}{c}})^2 - (\frac{n\overline{y}}{n + \frac{1}{c}})^2][/tex]

then i expanded it:
[tex] (\frac{n + \frac{1}{c}}{\frac{s}{n} })(\mu - \frac{n\overline{y}}{n + \frac{1}{c}})^2 - (\frac{n + \frac{1}{c}}{\frac{s}{n} })(\frac{n\overline{y}}{n + \frac{1}{c}})^2 [/tex]

then i guess:
[tex] (\frac{n + \frac{1}{c}}{\frac{s}{n} })(\mu - \frac{n\overline{y}}{n + \frac{1}{c}})^2 - [/tex][tex] (\frac{n + \frac{1}{c}}{\frac{s}{n} })(\frac{1}{(\frac{n\overline{y}}{n + \frac{1}{c}})^2 })[/tex]

and then i tried really hard to simplify it but i can't get the answer...

then answer is:
[tex]\frac{n + \frac{1}{c}}{\frac{s}{n} + \frac{\overline{y}(\frac{1}{c})}{(n + \frac{1}{c})}}[\mu - (\frac{n\overline{y}}{n + \frac{1}{c}})]^2[/tex]

am i doing it right so far? and if so, then can you please help me figure out the next line, coz i tried and i can't somehow get that answer..:(.. thank you..?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the statement of the original problem?

Do you have some equations relating some of the variables together, so that they are not fully independent of each other?

Otherwise, I don't think you will make it.

Please post the precise question, so that we can look at it from there!

yeahh i think that i must have done something wrong along the way, coz i don't think that i could make it too..

well the actual problem was to show:
[tex] p(t|y) \propto (1 + \frac{n + 1/c}{\frac{s}{n} + \frac{\overline{y^2}(1/c)}{n + 1/c}})(\mu - \frac{n\overline{y}}{n + 1/c})^2 [/tex]

but yeahhh what i showed you guys is where I am up to which is sort of 3/4 of the way done i think. but yeahh i started again after reading all your posts, so do you think that it's possible to get from
[tex] (\frac{n + 1/c}{\frac{s}{n}})[\mu - \frac{n\overline{y}}{n + 1/c}]^2 [/tex]

and make it equal to
[tex]
\frac{n + \frac{1}{c}}{\frac{s}{n} + \frac{\overline{y}(\frac{1}{c})}{(n + \frac{1}{c})}}[\mu - (\frac{n\overline{y}}{n + \frac{1}{c}})]^2 [/tex]

like i tried
[tex] \frac{n + \frac{1}{c}}{\frac{s}{n} + \frac{\overline{y}(\frac{1}{c})}{(n + \frac{1}{c})}}[\mu - (\frac{n\overline{y}}{n + \frac{1}{c}})][\mu - (\frac{n\overline{y}}{n + \frac{1}{c}})][/tex]

and expanding out only the first two brackets and that didn't work out too..
so did i do something wrong again and it's not possible to get to the right answer with what I am up to so far? and should i start again?

You need to define p(t|y).

1. What does it mean to be "almost done but got stuck" in a scientific experiment?

Being "almost done but got stuck" in a scientific experiment means that the researcher has completed most of the necessary steps and is close to achieving their desired outcome, but is facing some unexpected challenges or roadblocks that are preventing them from fully completing the experiment.

2. Why is it important to address being "almost done but got stuck" in a scientific experiment?

Addressing being "almost done but got stuck" is important because it can significantly impact the validity and reliability of the experiment's results. If the researcher is unable to overcome the obstacles they are facing and complete the experiment, the data and conclusions drawn from it may be incomplete or inaccurate.

3. What are some common reasons for being "almost done but got stuck" in a scientific experiment?

There are many potential reasons for being "almost done but got stuck" in a scientific experiment, including equipment malfunctions, data inconsistencies, unexpected results, and difficulties with the experimental procedure or methodology. It is essential for researchers to carefully document and troubleshoot any issues that arise to determine the cause and find a solution.

4. How can a scientist overcome being "almost done but got stuck" in a scientific experiment?

To overcome being "almost done but got stuck" in a scientific experiment, a scientist should carefully analyze the issue and explore potential solutions. This may involve consulting with colleagues, reviewing previous studies, adjusting experimental parameters, or conducting additional tests. It is crucial to remain open-minded and methodical in the problem-solving process.

5. Is it common to encounter being "almost done but got stuck" in scientific experiments?

Yes, it is common for scientists to encounter being "almost done but got stuck" in their experiments. The research process is often unpredictable and can involve unexpected challenges and setbacks. Experienced scientists know that troubleshooting and problem-solving are essential skills in overcoming these obstacles and successfully completing their experiments.