Why is it when I divide by a number greater than 1, I get a larger number?

• Thread starter zeromodz
  • Start date
In summary, when you divide a number by a number greater than 1, you are breaking it into smaller parts, which creates fractions of the original number. This results in a larger number because each part is now a fraction of the original number. This concept applies to real-world situations such as splitting a pizza into more slices or sharing money with more people.
zeromodz
(1.057023 * (10^14)) / 3.26 = 3.24240184 × 10^13

Shouldn't any number decrease when I divide by 3.26? Why does it increase?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It does decrease o_O
notice the ( 10^13) verses the (10^14) which is larger

1.2*10^5>2*10^3

Oh, crap. I am so sorry. I feel like a complete idiot. My apologies. I can't think right today:)

1. Why is it that dividing by a number greater than 1 results in a larger number?

When you divide a number by a number greater than 1, you are essentially breaking it into smaller parts. This means that each part is now a fraction of the original number, making the result larger than the original number.

2. Can you provide an example to explain why dividing by a number greater than 1 results in a larger number?

Sure! Let's say we have the number 10 and we divide it by 2. This means we are dividing it into 2 parts. 10 divided by 2 is equal to 5, which is larger than the original number 10.

3. How does the concept of division relate to fractions?

Division is essentially breaking a number into smaller parts. This is similar to how fractions represent a part of a whole. When you divide by a number greater than 1, you are creating a fraction of the original number.

4. Does dividing by a number greater than 1 always result in a larger number?

Yes, dividing by a number greater than 1 will always result in a larger number. This is because the original number is being broken into smaller parts, making each part a fraction of the original number.

5. How does this concept apply to real-world situations?

In real-world situations, dividing by a number greater than 1 can represent things like splitting a pizza into more slices or sharing a certain amount of money with more people. In both cases, the result is a larger number because the original amount is being divided into smaller parts.