Angular acceleration of a rock, in a tire, on a car

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the angular acceleration of a rock wedged in a tire attached to a car driving at a constant speed. It is determined that with constant linear velocity, the rock will also have constant angular velocity, resulting in an angular acceleration of zero. The conversation also touches on finding the radial acceleration of the rock, which can be calculated using the equation a_r = v^2/r.
deathcap00

Homework Statement

A rock is wedged into the treads of a 15 in radius tire. The car to which it is attached is driving down the road at 70mph.
What’s the angular acceleration of the rock?

Homework Equations

ar=- [tex]\omega[/tex]02r

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to begin really, how does the car's speed influence the angular acceleration of the rock? What are the basic steps to take to set this problem up?

Physics news on Phys.org
deathcap00 said:

Homework Statement

A rock is wedged into the treads of a 15 in radius tire. The car to which it is attached is driving down the road at 70mph.
What’s the angular acceleration of the rock?

Homework Equations

ar=- [tex]\omega[/tex]02r

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to begin really, how does the car's speed influence the angular acceleration of the rock? What are the basic steps to take to set this problem up?

angular velocity is the rate of change in angle. Angular acceleration is the rate of change in angular velocity. If a tire is traveling at a constant linear velocity, then its angular velocity must be constant.

[tex]\frac{d\omega}{dt} = \alpha[/tex]. What is the derivative of a constant? If you do not know calculus, what would the rate of change in velocity be if velocity was constant?

xcvxcvvc said:
angular velocity is the rate of change in angle. Angular acceleration is the rate of change in angular velocity. If a tire is traveling at a constant linear velocity, then its angular velocity must be constant.

[tex]\frac{d\omega}{dt} = \alpha[/tex]. What is the derivative of a constant? If you do not know calculus, what would the rate of change in velocity be if velocity was constant?

Is my angle 2*pi?

do I need to convert the radius of the tire to miles (or the miles/hr to ft/s)?

and the derivative of a constant is zero

deathcap00 said:
Is my angle 2*pi?

do I need to convert the radius of the tire to miles (or the miles/hr to ft/s)?

and the derivative of a constant is zero

The car is spinning at a constant angular velocity to sustain a constant linear velocity. The rock is doing whatever the tire is doing. The rock then has constant angular velocity. With constant angular velocity, angular acceleration is zero.

xcvxcvvc said:
The car is spinning at a constant angular velocity to sustain a constant linear velocity. The rock is doing whatever the tire is doing. The rock then has constant angular velocity. With constant angular velocity, angular acceleration is zero.

So my answer is zero then, that would explain why my professor said that he meant to ask for radial acceleration (but said he would accept angular as well though).

Just for the sake of knowing, how would I find the radial acceleration of the rock?

Thanks so much for your help.

deathcap00 said:
So my answer is zero then, that would explain why my professor said that he meant to ask for radial acceleration (but said he would accept angular as well though).

Just for the sake of knowing, how would I find the radial acceleration of the rock?

Thanks so much for your help.
We know to relate an angular value to a linear value, we multiply by the radius from the center of rotation. To remember this equation, note that the units make sense.
rad => meter
rad/s => m/s
rad/s^2 => m/s^2

So we can either divide your linear velocity by radius to find [tex]\omega[/tex] and use
[tex] a_r = \omega^2 r[/tex]
or we can multiply
[tex] a_r = \omega^2 r[/tex]
by [tex]\frac{r}{r}[/tex]
and use the above rules to change the equation to
[tex] a_r = \frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]
where v is the linear velocity. Then we can use that equation. It's just simple plug n' chug.

Radial acceleration is a=v^2/r.

thank you both very much!

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, or how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing over time. It is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2) in the SI system.

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing, while linear acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's linear velocity is changing. They are both measured in different units and represent different types of motion.

3. How is angular acceleration of a rock in a tire on a car calculated?

The formula for calculating angular acceleration is α = (ωf - ωi)/t, where α is the angular acceleration, ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time interval. In the case of a rock in a tire on a car, the initial angular velocity would be 0 since the rock starts at rest, and the final angular velocity can be calculated using the car's speed and the radius of the tire.

4. Can angular acceleration be negative?

Yes, angular acceleration can be negative. A negative angular acceleration indicates that an object's rotational speed is decreasing over time, while a positive angular acceleration indicates that the rotational speed is increasing over time.

5. How does angular acceleration affect the motion of the car?

Angular acceleration affects the motion of the car by causing the tires to rotate and propel the car forward. The greater the angular acceleration, the faster the tires will rotate and the faster the car will move. A decrease in angular acceleration will cause the car to slow down or come to a stop.