Trajectory of a particle in a field (special relativity)

In summary, the individual is new to the forum and is seeking help with a physics homework problem involving finding the trajectory of a particle in a field of force. The individual was instructed to use the equations F = \dot{p} = \frac{dp}{dt} and p=mv\gamma, where \gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}} and m is the rest mass. The individual attempted to solve the problem using these equations, but encountered difficulty. Another individual suggested using the work-energy theorem and conservation of energy instead. This approach also led to a similar differential equation. The individual is unsure how to proceed and is seeking further guidance.
Kynio
Hi, I'm new on this forum and I would like to say hello to everybody!
I have a problem with homework from my "Basics of theoretical phisics" class.

Homework Statement

I have to find a trajectory of a particle in field of force:

[tex] F = - \frac{\alpha}{x^2} [/tex]

Homework Equations

I was said to use:

[tex] F = \dot{p} = \frac{dp}{dt} [/tex] and [tex] p=mv\gamma [/tex]

where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is: [tex]\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}} [/tex] and m is rest mass.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\dot{p} = \frac{dp}{dt}=m \frac{d (v\gamma)}{dt} = m (\dot{v}\gamma + v \dot{\gamma}) [/tex]

[tex] \dot{\gamma} = -\frac{1}{2} (1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^{-3/2} \frac{2v}{c} \dot{v} = \dot{v} \frac{v}{c^2} \gamma^3 [/tex]

[tex] \dot{p} = m(\dot{v} \gamma + v \dot{v} \frac{v}{c^2} \gamma^3) = m \dot{v} \gamma (1+ \frac{v^2}{c^2} \gamma^2)= m \dot{v} \gamma^3 [/tex]

[tex] v=\dot{x} , m \dot{v} \gamma^3 = m \ddot{x} \gamma^3 = -\frac{\alpha}{x^2} [/tex]

[tex] \ddot{x} x^2 \gamma^3 = -\frac{\alpha}{m} [/tex]

Now I have a problem with that equation. Any ideas how to solve it and get [tex] x(t) [/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is similar to a classical particle in a gravitational field which cannot be solved for x(t). Adding the gamma factor to it doesn't make things prettier. I don't see how you can solve this for x(t). Are you sure you have to use this method?

I think you'll want to use the work-energy theorem and conservation of energy instead...

Edit: I suppose since you've come this far with the force method, you may as well continue...just multiply both sides of your equation by [tex]\frac{\dot{x}}{c^2x^2}[/tex] and integrate w.r.t. [itex]t[/itex]. You won't be able to get an solution in the form [itex]x(t)=\ldots[/itex], but you should be able to get an implicit solution

Last edited:
Since the equation doesn't depend on [tex]t[/tex] explicitly, I used a substitution:
[tex] \dot{x}=u(x)[/tex]
[tex]\ddot{x}=\frac{du}{dt}=\frac{du}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}=u'\dot{x}=u'u[/tex]

After separating variables and integrating, I've got:

[tex]\dot{x}=c\sqrt{1-\frac{c^4m^2x^2}{(\alpha+Dmx)^2}[/tex] where [tex]D[/tex] is a constant.
I think I cannon do much more, tried to solve this in Mathematica, but got a nightmarish outcome.

I think you'll want to use the work-energy theorem and conservation of energy instead...
I don't really have an idea how to use it. Can you at least tell me how to start?

Last edited:
Kynio said:
After separating variables and integrating, I've got:

[tex]\dot{x}=c\sqrt{1-\frac{c^4m^4x^2}{(\alpha+Dmx)^2}[/tex] where [tex]D[/tex] is a constant.
I think I cannon do much more, tried to solve this in Mathematica, but got a nightmarish outcome.

You've now got a separable 1st order ODE...surely you know how to solve that:wink:EDIT: Shouldn't you have [itex]m^2[/itex] in the numerator, and not [itex]m^4[/itex]?

I don't really have an idea how to use it. Can you at least tell me how to start?

You'll end up with the same DE as above, but a little quicker. Energy is conserved here, so you have [itex]E=\gamma mc^2+U(x)[/itex] where the total energy [itex]E[/itex] is just some constant, and [itex]U(x)[/itex] is the potential energy of the particle due to the conservative force field

[tex]U(x)=-\int \textbf{F}\cdot d\textbf{r}=\alpha\int \frac{dx}{x^2}=-\frac{\alpha}{x}[/tex]

So,

[tex]\gamma=\left(1-\frac{\dot{x}^2}{c^2}\right)^{-2}=\frac{E}{mc^2}-\frac{\alpha}{mc^2 x}[/tex]

Solve for [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] and you should end up with the same DE you have above.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between classical and special relativity?

Classical relativity describes the motion of objects in a non-accelerating (inertial) reference frame, while special relativity takes into account the effects of gravity and acceleration on an object's motion.

2. How does special relativity affect the trajectory of a particle?

Special relativity predicts that the trajectory of a particle will be affected by its velocity and the strength of the gravitational field it is in. This can result in curved or non-linear trajectories.

3. Is the trajectory of a particle affected by the speed of light?

Yes, according to special relativity, the speed of light is constant in all inertial reference frames. This means that as a particle approaches the speed of light, its trajectory will be affected and may appear to curve or bend.

4. Can special relativity be applied to all particles?

Special relativity can be applied to all particles, regardless of their mass or energy. However, it is most commonly used to describe the motion of particles with high speeds or in strong gravitational fields.

5. How does special relativity impact our understanding of time and space?

Special relativity has shown that time and space are not absolute, but rather are relative to the observer's frame of reference. It also predicts effects such as time dilation and length contraction, which have been confirmed through experiments and have greatly influenced our understanding of the universe.