Magnetic Fields of Long Straight Wires

In summary, the magnetic field at point O due to wire 1 is 40 degrees in the positive direction while wire 2 has a magnetic field of 50 degrees in the negative direction. The total magnetic field at point O is 128 degrees.
nhartung

Homework Statement

wch935.jpg

Two long straight wires are shown. Wire 1 has a current of 25A and lies 0.05 m away from point O. Wire 2 carries a current of 110 A and sits a distance of 0.25m away from point O as shown.

(i) What is the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field at point O due ONLY to WIRE 1.

(ii) What is the direction (measured as an angle from the x-axis) of the magnetic field at point O from wire 2?

(iii) What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at point O due ONLY to WIRE 2?

(iv) What is the magnitude of the total magnetic field?

Homework Equations

B = (4pix10-7)I/(2pi*r)

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) Using the equation for a long straight wire I get B = 1.0 x 10-4 I'm a little confused on the direction. I'm not sure how to compute this. Do I need to use the right hand rule or is there some way to find an exact angle?

(ii) As in (i) I am confused on how to find this. I would guess 40 degrees.

(iii) Using the equation for a long straight wire i get B = 8.8 x 10-5

(iv) Here I'm assuming I need to use the angle I found above to figure this out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Recall the right hand rule. A current will create a magnetic field that curls in the direction of your curled fingers when you grasp the wire with your thumb going in the direction of the current. Wire 1 lies on the x axis. In which direction does the magnetic field point in point O?

I don't really understand the right hand rule for long straight wires. When I try it I get the current is into the page which gives B down or in the -y direction. But I also get the same direction for current out of the page. Unless we are talking about clockwise or counterclockwise? In that case (i) would be clockwise.

Grasping wire one so that your thumb goes in the direction of the current means that your thumb is pointing into the screen. The current in wire two goes in the opposite direction (ie your thumb is now pointing at your face from the screen. :-))

You are also correct that both directions are down. At least down-ish. The first one is straight down, as it lies on the x-axis, so the tangent to the field at point 0 is vertical. But what about the second one?

Would it be 50 degress with respect to the x-axis? I'm assuming this because if wire 2 were on the x-axis as in wire 1 it would also be vertical but instead it is 40 degrees from the x-axis meaning that the B is perpendicular to wire 2 making it 50 degress from the x-axis.

I think you are on the right track. I would call it minus 50 degrees though. The field lies in the direction perpendicular to the distance from the wire (or perhaps more clearly, tangential to the circle described by the field line.) Therefore, perpendicular to the 40 degrees, and from the right hand rule, in the negative direction. 40-90=-50.

Ok so I think that covers (i) - (iii). Now for (iv) I'm thinking I need to find the magnitude of the magnetic field by separating each magnitude into its x and y components add them and then do sqrt(Bx2 + By2).

Is this correct?

Yes it is. :)

Ok thanks a lot for your quick replies. :D

Very welcome. If you bump into similar problems, try taking the time to draw the field lines at and near the point where you want to know something. Usually this will help a lot in visualizing the solution. :)

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space in which a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as those found in electric currents or permanent magnets.

2. How are magnetic fields of long straight wires created?

Magnetic fields of long straight wires are created by the flow of electric current through the wire. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the current flow.

3. What is the relationship between the strength of the magnetic field and the distance from the wire?

The strength of the magnetic field decreases as the distance from the wire increases. This relationship follows an inverse square law, meaning that the field strength is inversely proportional to the distance squared.

4. Can the direction of the magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can be changed by reversing the direction of the electric current flowing through the wire. This will also change the direction of the magnetic force acting on other charged particles in the field.

5. How can the magnetic field of a long straight wire be calculated?

The magnetic field of a long straight wire can be calculated using the right-hand rule, which states that if the thumb of your right hand points in the direction of the current flow, then the fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field. The strength of the field can be calculated using the equation B = μ0I/2πr, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the wire.