Calculate Air Speed in Turbine Tunnel - PSF.AT.00252V2

• Thread starter albertwinnie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Turbine
In summary, a newbie is looking for the formula to find the speed of air in cubic feet per minute going through an orifice. They are reminded that ft^3/min is not a unit of speed but of volumetric flow and are asked for more information such as upstream pressure or mass flow. The person asking the question then goes to the hospital and upon returning, provides additional information such as air volume, orifice size, and air pressure. The expert points out that the units provided are not consistent and asks the newbie to figure out the correct operation needed to get a number in ft/min.
albertwinnie
Newbie here;I have a project where I need to know the formula to find the speed of a known quantity of air in cubic feet per minute going though an orfice.So I can calculate
psf.at.00252v2

Engineering news on Phys.org
Firstly, [tex]ft^3/min[/tex] is not a unit of speed, rather of volumetric flow, typically denoted by the variable, Q. Dividing Q by the cross-sectional area will give you the velocity.

However, aside from that, you've given us nothing. You are posting zero knows in this problem and expect an answer for something. Do you have upstream pressure? Mass flow? What?

Thank you for that Minger,,,,,I,m off to the hospital for a scat scan and will post more details when I return.

Hi Minger,,,,OK,Back in home,,

air volume=375,000 cfm3

orfice=18,900 ft2

air pressure=20 inches water column

velocity of air = ?

Look at the units.

You have flow in
[tex] \frac {ft^3} {min} [/tex]

and an area in
[tex] ft^2 [/tex]

can you look at that and figure out the operation needed to arrive at a number in

[tex] \frac {ft} {min} [/tex] ?

What am I missing ?

Those numbers look odd...

1. How do you calculate air speed in a turbine tunnel?

To calculate air speed in a turbine tunnel, you need to use the following formula: Air Speed (ft/s) = Air Flow (CFM) / Cross-Sectional Area (ft²). This will give you the air speed in feet per second (ft/s).

2. What is the significance of calculating air speed in a turbine tunnel?

Calculating air speed in a turbine tunnel is important because it helps engineers and scientists understand how air flows through the tunnel and how it impacts the performance of the turbine. This information is crucial for optimizing the design and efficiency of the turbine.

3. What is the unit used for air speed in turbine tunnels?

The unit commonly used for air speed in turbine tunnels is feet per second (ft/s). However, other units such as meters per second (m/s) or miles per hour (mph) may also be used depending on the specific application.

4. How does air flow affect the air speed in a turbine tunnel?

The air flow in a turbine tunnel is directly related to the air speed. As the air flow increases, the air speed also increases. This is because a higher air flow means more air is passing through the tunnel, resulting in a higher air speed.

5. How can the air speed in a turbine tunnel be measured?

The air speed in a turbine tunnel can be measured using various instruments such as anemometers, pitot tubes, and hot wire anemometers. These instruments are designed to accurately measure the speed and direction of air flow in a tunnel.