Anchoring Threaded Rods to Concrete Pool: Advice Needed

• Thread starter jack in oz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concrete
In summary, the conversation discusses attaching a timber ledger to a concrete pool using stainless-steel threaded rods and a polyester adhesive. The adhesive instructions call for a 90mm deep hole, but the engineer only allows for a 70mm deep hole due to reinforcing bars. The question is whether to reduce the distance between the rods to maintain strength. The advice given is to use a concrete cover meter to find spaces between the bars for drilling.
jack in oz
Hi All,
my first post on this fantastic forum.

I am attaching a timber ledger to a concrete pool with 10mm stainless-steel threaded rods at 900mm centres. I am using a polyester adhesive made by ramset to anchor the rods into the concrete. The adhesive instructions call for the rod to be embedded in a 90mm deep hole. However, the engineer who designed the pool will only allow me to drill 70mm deep because the reinforcing bars are embedded 75mm from the outside of the shell.

My question is: do I simply reduce the distance between the threaded rods by the ratio 70/90 (i.e. 700mm centres) to achieve the same overall strength, or is it more complicated than that?

Appreciate any advice.

Regards,
Jack

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can hire bar locater probes to find the spaces between the bars and drill deeper there.

Look up 'concrete cover meter' in you local YP.

thanks Studiot, I'll look into it.

1. How do I determine the correct length for the threaded rods?

To determine the correct length for threaded rods, you will need to measure the distance between the concrete pool and the surface you are anchoring it to. You will also need to consider the thickness of the concrete and any additional materials that may be used between the pool and the surface. It is important to have enough length for the rod to securely anchor into the concrete without being too long and causing potential damage to the pool or surface.

2. What type of threaded rod should I use for anchoring to concrete?

For anchoring to concrete, it is recommended to use a stainless steel threaded rod due to its durability and resistance to corrosion in a pool environment. Other types of threaded rods, such as zinc-plated or galvanized, may be more prone to rust and may not hold up as well in a pool setting.

3. Is it necessary to use a specific type of anchor for concrete pools?

Yes, it is important to use anchors specifically designed for concrete pools. These anchors are typically made of stainless steel and have a unique shape that allows them to securely anchor into the concrete without causing damage. Using the wrong type of anchor can compromise the integrity of the pool and lead to potential safety hazards.

4. How many anchors do I need for my concrete pool?

The number of anchors needed for a concrete pool will depend on the size and weight of the pool, as well as the local building codes. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the appropriate number of anchors needed for your specific pool. As a general rule, it is recommended to have at least one anchor for every 3-4 feet of pool perimeter.

5. Can I install the threaded rods and anchors myself?

While it is possible to install threaded rods and anchors yourself, it is recommended to hire a professional for this task. Proper installation is crucial for the safety and stability of the pool, and a professional will have the necessary skills and tools to ensure the job is done correctly. Improper installation can lead to costly repairs and potential safety hazards.

Back