Strongest to Weakest Oxidant

• Thread starter Endorser
  • Start date
In summary: When substance acts as an oxidant (or oxidizer), what does happen to it? Does it gain, or lose electrons?In summary, when an element acts as an oxidizer, it gains electrons.
Endorser
Hello All I have been given a question form my chem teacher asking to place the following; Zn, Fe, Cu, I^- in order from strongest to weakest oxidant.

I have attempted two methods to solve this question

1st using the oxidation reaction table which lists as follows:
Zn>Fe>Cu>I

2nd using reduction half-reaction table which lists as following:
Zn>Cu>2I^->Fe^2+

I am unsure what 1 to use so please help me

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Determine what element/substance is a strong oxidant?

I have the following elements Zn, I^-, Fe^3+, Cu and i would like to know how to place these in order from strongest to weakest oxidant.

Thanks

Check standard potential tables.

Borek said:
Check standard potential tables.

So is the correct answer; (strong to weak)

Fe^2+
2I^-
Cu
Zn

just want some confirmation on this

thanks

Moderator's note: two identical threads merged into one.

Please list half reactions in which each given substance behaves as an oxidizer and list standard potentials of these reactions.

--

Borek said:
Please list half reactions in which each given substance behaves as an oxidizer and list standard potentials of these reactions./QUOTE]

Full

Zn2+ (aq)| Zn(S) || Cu2+(aq) | Cu(S)
I2(aq) | l-(aq) ||Cu2+(aq) | Cu(S)
I2(aq) | l-(aq) || Fe3+(aq) | Fe2+(aq)
Zn2+ (aq)| Zn(S) || I2(aq) | l-(aq)
Zn2+ (aq)| Zn(S) || Fe3+(aq) | Fe2+(aq)
Fe3+(aq) | Fe2+(aq) || Cu2+(aq) | Cu(S)

Half

Oxidation
Zn(S) → Zn2+(aq) + 2e-

Cu(S) → Cu2+(aq) + 2e
2I-(aq) → I2(aq) + 2e-

Zn(S) → Zn2+(aq) + 2e-

Zn(S) → Zn2+(aq) + 2e-
Cu(S) → Cu2+(aq) + 2e

Reduction
Cu2+(aq) + 2e- → Cu(S)
I2(aq) + 2e- →2I-(aq)

Fe3+(aq) +e- →Fe2+(aq)

I2(aq) + 2e- →2I-(aq)

Fe3+(aq) +e- →Fe2+(aq)

Fe3+(aq) +e- →Fe2+(aq)

Seems to me like you have listed everything just in case, as you have no idea what to look for.

I asked for half reactions, so full reactions are ruled out.

When substance acts as an oxidant (or oxidizer), what does happen to it? Does it gain, or loses electrons?

Finally, you have listed reactions, but omitted potentials, which are the most important part when looking for the answer to your question.

--
methods

When substance acts as an oxidant (or oxidizer), what does happen to it? Does it gain, or loses electrons?

OXI RED

Oxidation is increase Reduction is decrease

Redox reaction means transfer of electrons - that means one substance gains electrons, other loses them. That in turn means one substance gets reduced, while the other gets oxidized.

Now, what happens to the substance that acts as an oxidizer? If you don't know, try to analyze the situation. Imagine there two substances reacting, Ox, and Red.

Substance Ox acts as an oxidizer.

The other substance is oxidized - does it get, or lose electrons?

If so, what happened to the electrons of the Ox substance - did it get more, or lost some?

If so, was it reduced, or oxidized?

And please, try to answer these questions, and not evade the answer but saying something that is basically right but not related to the question, as you did twice already. It won't work with me.

--

If so, was it reduced, or oxidized?

Zn -> Zn^2+ + 2e^-

thus is has oxidized as Oxidation is gain in electrons

OXI RED - Oxidation is increase Reduction is decrease - in terms of oxidation number.

OIL RIG - Oxidation is Loss Reduction is Gain - in terms of electrons.

Borek said:
OXI RED - Oxidation is increase Reduction is decrease - in terms of oxidation number.

OIL RIG - Oxidation is Loss Reduction is Gain - in terms of electrons.

ahhhh... i c

so
Zn -> Zn^2+ + 2e^-

would be reduction due to OIL RIG

Yep. Now, go back and do as asked earlier.

--
methods

1. What is an oxidant?

An oxidant is a substance that has the ability to accept electrons from other substances, causing oxidation. Oxidation is a chemical reaction in which an atom or molecule loses an electron.

2. How is the strength of an oxidant determined?

The strength of an oxidant is determined by its oxidation potential, which is a measure of the energy required to remove an electron from a substance. The higher the oxidation potential, the stronger the oxidant.

3. What is the strongest oxidant?

The strongest oxidant is fluorine (F2). It has the highest oxidation potential of all elements, making it a very powerful oxidizing agent. However, due to its reactivity, fluorine is not commonly used as an oxidant in chemical reactions.

4. What are some examples of strong oxidants?

Some examples of strong oxidants include chlorine (Cl2), ozone (O3), hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), and permanganate (MnO4-). These substances have high oxidation potentials and are commonly used in industrial and laboratory settings.

5. How does the strength of an oxidant affect its reactivity?

The strength of an oxidant directly affects its reactivity. Stronger oxidants are more reactive and have a greater tendency to accept electrons, making them more powerful in causing oxidation. This also means they can cause more damage to other substances, making them potentially dangerous if not handled properly.